Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those using it with a stand alone battery (not in the car battery) what are you using. Went to Batteries Plus today, they recommended a huge deep cycle ~70Ah battery and a fancy deep cycle charger which add up to more than the tool!

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
The number of hives that you have will determine what type of battery you should use, as Lee has stated you can use a "jump start" if just a few hives. I have heard of people using their 4 wheeler or a lawn mower battery but if you have more than a handful of hives a standard car battery is recommended to keep the voltage level relatively the same throughout the process. I have my hives situated about 30 yards from the house and I use a common battery charger set on 2 amps which works great for a stable 12 V voltage flow however newer chargers using IC boards inside to control the voltage can give you problems and must be altered by bypassing this IC board. If you decide a battery charger might be an viable option you will just need to test your OxyVap and see if it works. :)

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It would be about 10 hives at any one location at one time. I could charge the battery again before the next location.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
It would be about 10 hives at any one location at one time. I could charge the battery again before the next location.
I use a different brand oav unit but much the same. I remove the battery from my riding mower during the winter anyway...so I use it. I do fifteen or twenty hives in each yard....and usually recharge the night between using an ordinary car battery charger. It is more than enough.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Excellent, thank you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts