·
Premium Member
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I bought this while in Europe:
Tableware Table Drinkware Cup Coffee cup

USD450 (CAD565) plus shipping.

First impression: very solid & professionally build units, no doubt.

Second thought: how can this heavy unit with 300 watt heat element treat in 10 to 25 seconds and here the website states 10 seconds for 1 gram, 25 sec. for 2 gram and ? sec. for 3 gram.

It states 8 minutes to bring to operational temperature.

Finding: our 1 gram tablets from the local supplier get cut in the metering unit because they (the tablets) are to large in diameter.

Is anyone using this unit?

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
Europe is lightyears ahead of the US when it comes to most anything related to bees. Look at the instruction manual - could you scan a PDF is it in english?

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
I can also get rid of the load quicker if the outlet goes lower in the bowl, as a matter of fact you cannot get any quicker than if the hole is in the bottom of the bowl. Quicker also does not create fine OA crystals either.

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
The other thing of course is the bigger the ID of the hole the faster the stuff will come out but again what about the crystal size.

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here the link to Oxalika if anyone is interested: Oxalika Main Page

Oxalika Manuals: Manuals

I got 1 gram tablets that measure 14mm in diameter and they don't work, as I said, the cut when feeding.

The tablets should be 12mm, 1.5 gram to be universal, feed one for nuc's and two for two double deeps.

The discussion of who is ahead and who is behind was not part of this thread and I will, after this post stay away from any comments in that regards. I am raised and educated in Germany and I have found over the years it is best to keep an open mind, one finds good and improved in any nation, lets focus on the bees.

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
That comment was all mine, you had no responsibility in it whatsoever - so no worries.

Thanks for the instructions, seems like some of their advice, is questionable.

This device is to be used soley for beekeeping purposes related to the vaporization of the oxalic acid intended for its use. The vaporizer OXALIKA PRO was designed and built to satisfy specific needs regarding the treatment against varroa of hives inhabited by bees. The vaporizer OXALIKA PRO is used against varroa when there is no brood, during the cold months of the year . Considering the elevated efficacy of the vaporizer OXALIKA PRO (>96%), it is possible to reduce the population of varroa so that the bees are in optimum condition for the next season. DOSE: For the hives, like dadant, the dose of oxalic acid is 2g for medium colonies. The spoons, Oxalika PRO EASY, corresponds to 1g of acid. If after the treatment more than 1000 varroa are eliminated, or in the uncertainty of brood presence, it is necessary to repeat the treatment at a distance of 2 weeks from the first treatment with the same dose of 1g of acid regardless of the size of the colony. The swarms and artifical swarms can be treated throughout the year. The families with the queen must be treated before the capping of the broods. Warning : The orphan colonies react with a frenetic “ coming and going” of bees. For further information please see the instructions as provided in the oxalic acid (for bee keeping) information sheet. The device must be used exclusively on hives populated by bees , do not treat weak colonies or empty hives. In case of any malfunctions and/or damages of parts of the vaporizer OXALIKA PRO stop the use immediately and send it back to the producer for maintenance.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I got 1 gram tablets that measure 14mm in diameter and they don't work, as I said, the cut when feeding.

The tablets should be 12mm, 1.5 gram to be universal, feed one for nuc's and two for two double deeps.
Joerg, why would you not use loose oxalic powder with this vaporizer? It seems to me it is specifically designed to measure and dispense the right amount of acid for you, so why use the tablets at all?

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
00101, this is the decision everyone needs to work-out on an individual, area specific usage and for resistance, OA is the only weapon that can't develop resistance.

Dekster, I would prefer tablets because of a higher degree of accuracy, non cloaking, non bridging and remote operation away from the danger of vapor (3' minimum). loading through magazines with 100 and more tablets. Liquid would be my other preferred form, but this is all just (a) discussion point(s).

·
Registered
282 Posts
Dekster, I would prefer tablets because of a higher degree of accuracy, non cloaking, non bridging and remote operation away from the danger of vapor (3' minimum). loading through magazines with 100 and more tablets. Liquid would be my other preferred form, but this is all just (a) discussion point(s).
Sorry, I must be missing something here- I thought you load the vaporizer by turning the handle on the dispenser regardless if it is a tablet or powder, it does not seem to be self loading, so how would remote operation work? Or are you thinking of some new design with automated tablet feeder? Where do you get the tablets? I have not seen them here yet...

·
Registered
Small Cell Nucs
629 Posts
That comment was all mine, you had no responsibility in it whatsoever - so no worries.

Thanks for the instructions, seems like some of their advice, is questionable.

This device is to be used soley for beekeeping purposes related to the vaporization of the oxalic acid intended for its use. The vaporizer OXALIKA PRO was designed and built to satisfy specific needs regarding the treatment against varroa of hives inhabited by bees. The vaporizer OXALIKA PRO is used against varroa when there is no brood, during the cold months of the year . Considering the elevated efficacy of the vaporizer OXALIKA PRO (>96%), it is possible to reduce the population of varroa so that the bees are in optimum condition for the next season. DOSE: For the hives, like dadant, the dose of oxalic acid is 2g for medium colonies. The spoons, Oxalika PRO EASY, corresponds to 1g of acid. If after the treatment more than 1000 varroa are eliminated, or in the uncertainty of brood presence, it is necessary to repeat the treatment at a distance of 2 weeks from the first treatment with the same dose of 1g of acid regardless of the size of the colony. The swarms and artifical swarms can be treated throughout the year. The families with the queen must be treated before the capping of the broods. Warning : The orphan colonies react with a frenetic “ coming and going” of bees. For further information please see the instructions as provided in the oxalic acid (for bee keeping) information sheet. The device must be used exclusively on hives populated by bees , do not treat weak colonies or empty hives. In case of any malfunctions and/or damages of parts of the vaporizer OXALIKA PRO stop the use immediately and send it back to the producer for maintenance.
Thats the first efficacy rate I've seen. So 96% during the broodless period. I figured that was the way to figure that out. If I didn't catch the Rona this week I would have found out what the effective rate was for the OCV.

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dekster... yes, you are correct for the Oxalika unit, but I am working on something new (for me). Go here Commercial Vaporizer

Struttinbuck... I believe that is the computer translation of the Oxalika Manual or info in their Webpages and I would treat all given info in advertisement with caution. More studies have been done, but I don't give much of the results since everyone in the field does not have the same settings, operational strategy or equipment(s) as a study may have. Do me it is more about developing your own procedure and for me OA works for five years and four without any miticide.

Please: lets only discuss the Oxalika here and address OA in general in other threads. Thanks.

·
Registered
Small Cell Nucs
629 Posts
I can also get rid of the load quicker if the outlet goes lower in the bowl, as a matter of fact you cannot get any quicker than if the hole is in the bottom of the bowl. Quicker also does not create fine OA crystals either.
Another thing about the exit point is the temperature of the band. If the temp sensor is in the bottom of the bowl, the sensor is reading 400 while the band might be at 700 or even higher degrees. So the OA is definately changing state at the coolest point in the heating portion of the device. Then passing through the hottest section till it exits the vapor chamber.

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Another thing about the exit point is the temperature of the band. If the temp sensor is in the bottom of the bowl, the sensor is reading 400 while the band might be at 700 or even higher degrees. So the OA is definately changing state at the coolest point in the heating portion of the device. Then passing through the hottest section till it exits the vapor chamber.
Right and the point of having the probe between the base and bottom to have the nozzle well heated, not to cloak with crystals accumulating on exit.

·
Registered
Small Cell Nucs
629 Posts
Right and the point of having the probe between the base and bottom to have the nozzle well heated, not to cloak with crystals accumulating on exit.
I just think there is an advantage to having the OA change state at the hottest section of the device then travelling through the cooler parts as it exits. The exiting temperature is controlled that way. You absolutely know that the OA is not getting above the beaking down temperature.

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tested the unit with 3 x 1 gram tablets yesterday and noticed a heavy collection of crystals on the rim of the plug. This is obviously OA not getting in the hive. Have not run more then the one cycle!

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
Joerg are you still looking at the commecial vaporizer and just looking at the Oxalica for ideas. Are you looking at a continuous stream of vapor maybe also air driven or are you looking at a vaporizer air driven or not that will work dose by dose. To speed vaporization time you will require more heat and more surface area for the OA to come into contact with the hot surface. The sublimation area will also need to be stripped and cleaned periodically without too much hassle, and then there is the OA feed, tablets or powder and I think if you want measured doses you will need to feed tablets. All these things are possible but to really succeed you need to stick to the KISS system. You will need to think and play.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts