Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys I am wondering what is the difference between oxalic acid used for mite treatment and oxalic acid used for wood bleaching Mann lake sells the one for wood bleaching but is it the same for mite treatment

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
No difference. The wood bleach is not labeled and registered for use as a pesticide, but it is the same chemical. Many cost conscious beekeepers use wood bleach. I purchase my oxalic acid from Florida Labs. My hives are very white inside from all the "bleaching" they get.;)

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Here in Kentucky it is illegal to use the stuff labeled as wood bleach
Politicians make laws. Politicians are subjected to lobbying by groups with vested financial interests. Some politicians can even be bribed. 'Nuff said.

Some laws are sensible, but some are not - and do not enjoy "consent of the people". It often occurs that laws have to be changed to comply with the changing demands of society. In Britain, suicide used to be illegal, as did homosexuality. Smoking cannabis is currently still illegal over here - but, like Canada, I suspect that this will change - just as soon as the government can figure out the best way of extracting the maximum revenue from this lucrative crop.
/cynical mode

As JWP comments - there's nothing illegal about cleaning woodwork ... :)
LJ

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
Just make sure the wood bleach you buy is labeled oxalic acid. There have been wood bleaches that have other chemicals as active ingredients that would not be safe for the bees.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Here in Kentucky it is illegal to use the stuff labeled as wood bleach
Like most places there are outdated and useless laws. Just a few more from Kentucky: Any person who appears on any highway, or upon the street of any city that has no police protection, when clothed only in ordinary bathing garb, shall be fined no less than five dollars nor more than twenty-five dollars.

All nude people in your house must be registered.

It's illegal to carry an ice cream cone in your pocket.

One may not dye a duckling blue and offer it for sale unless more than six are for sale at once.

Every citizen of is required to take a shower once a year.

Some times the right thing to do might not be on the book as legal.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Like most places there are outdated and useless laws. Just a few more from Kentucky: Any person who appears on any highway, or upon the street of any city that has no police protection, when clothed only in ordinary bathing garb, shall be fined no less than five dollars nor more than twenty-five dollars.

All nude people in your house must be registered.

It's illegal to carry an ice cream cone in your pocket.

One may not dye a duckling blue and offer it for sale unless more than six are for sale at once.

Every citizen of is required to take a shower once a year.

Some times the right thing to do might not be on the book as legal.
I would be in big trouble if I lived in Kentucky. I violate most of those laws on nearly a daily basis. Although I haven't sold a single duckling died blue in a long time (so 1980's)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts