Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am late beginning to use Oxalic acid on my hives. Just procured the vaporizer and other equipment. My question is that we are supposed to use 1/4 tsp of oxalic acid per hive box (I think that's right-will check). What if there are not too many bees? Do I still use enough OA for 2 hive boxes? Or should I use less?

·
Registered
65 colonies +/- mostly Langstroth mediums, a few deeps for nuc production
519 Posts
It is per box, to produce a volume of tiny crystals to fill the volume and coat all surfaces. Includes the bees, not more or less by population

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
There really is no info about this, so it is a matter of discretion. You are correct that it is 1/4 tsp pr/box. I run 3 brood boxes, but sometimes they are not filling all of them, so use a little less. OAV is fairly gentle, so I would not worry about it too much. Use about 1/3 tsp if they are in 2 boxes but have a small population. J

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you too for the information. Since there is a little difference in the answers, I'll go with a little less but not worry about it.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Keep in mind that if your hive is already failing treating will likely not do any good.
I'm not suggesting that you not do it just that when spring arrives and the colony has collapsed don't be surprised.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts