Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Try testing your vaporizer/battery combo outside the hive and experiment with different times.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Hi GreySquirrel...I have seen treatment recommendations that vary anywhere from 5 to 10 days between treatments. With a total of three treatments being done.

I did mine 5 days apart. Here's my reasoning...and remember I am new at this...

Total treatment time of 15 days. The vapors do not treat any covered over larvae, (pupa). It treats only open cells and adults. A larvae will be in the pupa stage for about 13 days. So, in 15 days time about all the bees in the hive...except the ones out foraging and not in the hive...will get treated.

I guess you can stretch it out to 7 or 10 days between treatments. But, I would just as soon get on with it. Opinions please...
In the past I have shown that 7 days is required to catch all cells in an uncapped condition. it is not the 21 day cycle of a worker you are concerned about. it is the 26 day cycle of the drone brood. it is also no concern as to how long they are open as delay in being capped again is to the advantage of treating successfully.

Drone: brood is capped in day 8 and reamisn so until day 26 a total of 18 days
5 day treatment cycle
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18. This indicates that in fact all three treatments will be done while cells remain capped.
7 day treatment cycle.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 again showing all three treatments could happen while a cell is capped but with less frequency.

I actually suggest a frequency of treatment of 7 to 8 days. 8 day cycle would tetra on days 1 9 and 17. making a very small number of cells that are not open for at least one treatment.

For other factors I still consider the 7 day treatment frequency better. and that has to do with a cell that emerged and then had an egg laid in it and will be recapped in an 8 day period. 7 days allows the greatest number of cells to be open during any single treatment but does not allow a cell to emerge and be recapped between treatments.

We can then look at the two frequencies in regard to worker brood. Worker brood is a 21 day cycle of which 13 days it is capped.
5 day treatment cycle
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
7 day treatment cycle
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 . .

Notice with a 7 day treatment cycle no worker brood can be capped during all three treatments. and this is with the shortest possible period of time that cells are uncapped. delay in laying the next egg lengthens the period a cell is open giving greater assurance it will be treated while uncapped.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
This is only my second year and I am probably over-reacting to the mite issue but I treat at 7 day intervals and give each hive 5 treatments. My first treatment was last week so I have 4 more to go. I figure I should concentrate on reducing the mite load on the generation before the winter brood cycle. If the winter brood are laid with very few mites in the hive, they will be extremely healthy when they emerge and be strong going through the winter.
I only keep the hive closed for 10 minutes total and the clock starts when I apply the power.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Redbug,
I have been doing my hives, four minutes to melt the OA and then at least 10 minutes for them to stay inside. I actually leave them longer as I pull the vaporizer cool it in water and reset it again immediately. I wait till I have a free hand after the timer beeps and there doesn't seem to be any ill effects, the only one that gets opened right at the timer is the last one. My Total Time on Sunday for the seven hives was less than an hour including get my stuff out and putting it away.
Crofter thanks for your advice I will watch and do exactly as you suggested for a final treatment

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Could I get away with one treatment if I wait until thanksgiving since there won't be much capped brood or should I still do the three treatments .

·
Vendor
5,283 Posts
Could I get away with one treatment if I wait until thanksgiving since there won't be much capped brood or should I still do the three treatments .
I always test for mites prior to treating. However, if you are NOW above your threshold of mites, if were I, I'd do the 3 treatments........

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
My concern would be disturbing the colony at that time of year.

·
Vendor
5,283 Posts
My concern would be disturbing the colony at that time of year.
Right around Thanksgiving is a PERFECT time to treat! The hive is basically broodless and OAV at that time will kill greater than 95% of the phoretic mites. As long as temps are right above 40f, you can treat.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I don't test my treat hives anymore. Having never tested before treating and not finding enough mites that they required treatment. So, they get a teatment at the start of the dearth when then supers come off, then again in late fall. No, I wouldn't try a single treatment, thou I only have one test to judge by, the first time I treated in the fall, I drop tested and got enough mites following the second treatment to justify another round so I've settled on 3, but will probably continue with a round or two in late fall when the weather is great. It doesn't take long and it costs almost nothing. I'd rather be sure than risk winter losses.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Redbug my bee club is not using oxacalic vaporizers either. I had a high mite load in two of my hives and I am sure I would have lost them if not for treating with oxacalic acid. (Thanks snl). My bee club solution for shb is to place hives in full sun. Did not work for me. I use an sbb with a aluminum tray filled with diatomaceous earth. I never see shb in my hives just dead ones in the tray. I also grow watermelons and cantaloupes and put the rinds in my compost piles. I live in shb heaven and don't even worry about them.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
Redbug my bee club is not using oxacalic vaporizers either. I had a high mite load in two of my hives and I am sure I would have lost them if not for treating with oxacalic acid. (Thanks snl). My bee club solution for shb is to place hives in full sun. Did not work for me. I use an sbb with a aluminum tray filled with diatomaceous earth. I never see shb in my hives just dead ones in the tray. I also grow watermelons and cantaloupes and put the rinds in my compost piles. I live in shb heaven and don't even worry about them.
Hi BkWoodsBees...

I think the official word with the bee clubs is to treat the oxalic acid method as a non-entity since it is not an approved treatment. They have to toe the line. But, there are many people doing it on the quiet. It's like an underground movement. Odd...since so many other countries have been doing it for years. It's all about money. More money being made selling the chemical strips. I think approval would cut those profits.

Yes, I have an occasional SHB, but not many. I also have my hives where they can get sun 3/4 of the day. I also use the reusable beetle traps with oil. I don't get many in them.

I bet you have great melons with you having bees...

21 - 33 of 33 Posts