Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my first 10 package bees of the year last week. There are eggs in each of the 10 hives and none have any brood yet. A beekeeping friend of mine suggested I treat my bees to an Oxalic acid trickle while there are no brood to kill any mites they may carry.

He hasn't been out to see my bees, so this suggestion isn't coming from having found mites on my bees. I haven't seen a single mite on my bees, but that doesn't mean they couldn't be there. I have the solution he uses for trickling mixed in a container in my garage.

I am not interested in striving for a "no treatment" / "organic" apiary.

So, do you think the bees should be treated with the oxalic acid trickle?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm a totally new beekeeper. Got my first one's a few weeks ago. I'm not going to put any chemicals in my hive. The bees are going to have to make it on their own. In the end you just end up poisoning the wax and that impacts the bees long term. It seems a little crazy to me to treat for a problem you don't even have.

If my bee's die, then they weren't strong enough. See ya later bees.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Oxalic acid is not legal to use here in the U.S. so I would not recommend it's use. Powdered sugar dusting done 2 or 3 times before brood is capped will probably do as much good and is legal.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Most new packages won't need a mite treatment, for at least a few months. Probably more like August.
put in a white board, do the powdered sugar. remove the board 10 min. later, & see if you have any mites.

·
Registered
855 Posts
With no brood, you can evaporate oxalic acid, this will kill all mites. OA is a naturally ingredient in honey and almost all vegetable and is not wax soluble. Like powder sugar, after a while you will see the mites on the sticky board. The only difference is, with OA the mites are dead.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts