Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When do I use Oxalic Acid Dribble Method. I have been told not to when eggs and larva are present, just do the top super, told to only do the bottom one. When and how, please.

·
Premium Member
979 Posts
Unlike Oxalic acid vaporization, which has quite a bit of flexibility with dosage and treatment frequency.

OA dribble needs to be very carefully administered, and the dosage is extremely important.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Go to scientificbeekeeping.com. Read the instructions for oxalic acid dribble method.

It is not to be used when brood is present. Near Albany, NY I have used in mid December for many years, with outstanding results.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
cientificbeekeeping.com/oxalic-dribble-tips/

Summer treatment

Oxalic dribble is not as effective when colonies contain brood (as during spring or summer), but colonies at that time do appear to tolerate stronger or repeated doses due to the rapid turnover of the adult population at that time of year.
I don’t have data on efficacy, but I’ve treated colonies once a week for three consecutive weeks in late summer without noticing adverse effects (although we prefer thymol or formic acid at that time of year).

I've never noticed any effect on using in the summer on open brood. OAV does not work as well in the summer either.

Mixing correctly is important, Downsizing the dose is confusing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts