Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Thanks G3farms, Thank you for the info.

I just ordered one for tablets and will test it if it comes in time before my departure from Germany.

William, don't worry, it will be different then what you describe.

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Yes Joerg, tablets would make it possible to make a closed feeding system.
johno, I am working on three different modes, liquid (adjustable electro-magnetic plunger), powder (adjustable electro-magnetic plunger) and tablets (feeder revolver with electro-magnetic plunger). The big problem is the separation between the hot bowl and the feeding mechanics and the reliability of the unit for commercial use (heat creeps from one part of the unit to an other, pre-disolving the charge). The position of the outlet tube is also a big question and I have been leaning to the bottom discharge to allow the use on standard entrances, with reducers on. I am using a 800 watt 110 VAC heat band, removable loading system for clean-up acting also as pressure relive if the vapor tube gets plugged.

More to come during winter.

·
Premium Member
2,220 Posts
Joerg this is all possible but unfortunately comes with a big price ticket. Simplicity is the key, speed and the ability to figure out the dosage per hive is also important so this might need quite some innovation. Then can the costs be recovered by such a small market.

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Joerg this is all possible but unfortunately comes with a big price ticket. Simplicity is the key, speed and the ability to figure out the dosage per hive is also important so this might need quite some innovation. Then can the costs be recovered by such a small market.
Johno, I remember JW messaging me from Kamon's conference back in January when you guys were down there together. I had left after a few hours and was sorry I missed meeting you both.

--

I work around several engineers and when you passed the torch I approached one of them about a side gig making some sort of vaporizer. The revolving style caught my attention, but at the end of the day you are (obviously) correct. Bringing something complex into production all the way from R&D for a market of a few thousand people (if the price is right), to a few thousand different people (if the product saves measurable time) is a daunting task. This is compounded by the fact that beeks by nature are on the frugal side, and saving an hour 5-10 times a year is not going to be worth the extra $400.

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
You are correct, price is a big factor as is the reliability and safety, but one is allowed to try.

JoergK.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts