Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at buying/trying oxalic acid in "tablet" form and would like feedback from anyone who has ordered and had good success with a company. A quick Google search for "oxalic acid tablet" turns up a number of companies to order from, but they are all UK/EU so before I send my money "overseas" I figured I would ask.

I am not looking to debate the cheaper cost of buying wood bleach or powdered forms. The convenience of having a tablet is something I would like to try. I have lost my measuring spoons and spilled the powdered forms enough to think a few dollars more for a "tablet" might well be worth it :eek:

Thanks for any help

Reactions: Tim KS

·
Registered
324 Posts
I make my own with a pill pounder and have looked into and approached several compounding companies to make some. Their minimum was 2000lb#'s and they would have to use a lubricant which I'm not so sure about using them in an OAV with heat and what gases the lubricant would form.
I also wonder if the European companies use lubricant.
The pill pounder works well enough and with 3 wacks of a hammer I get an aspirin sized pill just a tad taller than an aspirin. But that's just a 1 gram charge also. No lubricant either. I also wear a 95 dust mask as the powder does rise up.
The pills work great in my OAV but if its really worth it , I have not decided.
After using a spoon before the pills I could almost just eye ball a 1 or 2 gram charge. That's probably the easiest.
With the new OA rules maybe a company will come out with 1 and 2 gram charges if the volumes are here.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The UK/EU companies seem to be using the tablets in the vaporizers already, so there must not be much issue with a lubricant. I briefly debated buying a DIY pill pounder, but after watching a youtube video or two decided my time was worth more than the time it takes to make usable quantities of pills.

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
I've been thinking of getting my own pill press to try this. Vaping oxalic on a commcerical scale i can see the value of having 2 gram tablets premade. However i have no experience with a pill press to even know what size of a form to use. I hope more info comes to light.

Aaron

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Hello Aaron, would you be willing to share the equipment you are using with us?

Thanks, JoergK.

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
Hello Aaron, would you be willing to share the equipment you are using with us?

Thanks, JoergK.
for vaping?
I prmarily use provap EZ model.

I have not entered into any attempts at making tablets yet. Currently moving the business so all in house custom work has been put on hold.

Aaron

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Okay Aaron, I misunderstood this as "However i have now experience with a pill press to even know what size of a form to use" as you now have the experience, but you meant 'no experience!'

My questions was for pill making equipment.

JoergK.

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
Okay Aaron, I misunderstood this as "However i have now experience with a pill press to even know what size of a form to use" as you now have the experience, but you meant 'no experience!'

My questions was for pill making equipment.

JoergK.
Yes, i meant no experience. i didn't realise i added the "w" but i have now edited it.

Once i get settled into my new building in the new year i will start experimenting with makeing some tablets.

Aaron

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Thanks, I will work on this, too. We have a 150 ton press and I will see if I can make a die to press 20-40 tablets at a time with 2 or 3 gram (I always use 3 gram in my units).

3/8" diameter each means the press weight on 2.21 or 8.84 inch/2 giving 7.5 ton (16,500 lbs) per tablet or 3.75 ton (8,250 lbs) per tablet. One probably needs some kind of 'binder, glue' to do this and has to be careful not to make too much heat with a nice gas alarm in the workshop!

I shall report.

JoergK.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Any progress on this?

·
Premium Member
2,220 Posts
If you are really interested in OA tablets get in touch with Medhat Nasser as he has a source for those. I cannot see the reason for tablets as they are more likely to increase sublimation time due to the smaller surface area they would present to the sourse of heat. He was using them so that he could load his device through a ball valve, which again is all very well except in knocks the efficiency of the device out of wack as there is so much more metal noe attached to the bowl.

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
If you are really interested in OA tablets get in touch with Medhat Nasser as he has a source for those. I cannot see the reason for tablets as they are more likely to increase sublimation time due to the smaller surface area they would present to the sourse of heat. He was using them so that he could load his device through a ball valve, which again is all very well except in knocks the efficiency of the device out of wack as there is so much more metal noe attached to the bowl.
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I was thinking of a black powder, powder measure.

This would work if the OA would stay dry enough to flow. The clumps would put a damper on things. Some type of a sifter, like the "spice" grinders to bust up the clumps.

Maybe spread it out in front of a dehumidifier to dry it out before use.

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
G3farms, in Canada, beemaidbeesupplies.com suppose to have tablets, but I have not made contact since I am out of the county till November. They don't show in the website, so email them.

johno, I would like to use them for ease of metering and, to meter them into a closed boiler without having to take the plug off, like a revolver feeding system, more to come some day on a commercial unit.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Thanks Biermann for the link. will check into that.

Johno we have you thinking now!! It can be ez vap 2.0 and you can ramp up production even more! 😁

·
Premium Member
2,220 Posts
When I first started down this road I was looking at a mechanical feed system, but to get there would mean machined components with reasonably close tolerances. When I saw the Europeans with a simple cap and loading from upside down I quickly gave up on the other way as it is difficult and expensive and will also make the device heavier. Whats the story KISS.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts