Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did an OAV treatment in February and March. Long story short I have honey in the frames that were in the box during the treatment. I don't have plans to sell the honey. Can I consume the honey from these frames? I know everyone suggest to remove supers when doing OAV but these were just part of the brood box that I treated. If the answer is not to consume will there ever be an acceptable amount of time passed before it would be safe?

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
There is considerable research been done that claims there is a short term spike that may put oxalic acid percentage slightly higher than what is considered in natural range of honey. After about 10 days it returns to background level.

I certainly would consider it good to go! I would be a bit more skeptical of OA drizzle treatment but if the honey were capped when treated, no problem. IMHO.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Was the honey capped when you did the OAV? You get OA with every mouthful of spinach. It degrades rapidly in presence of moisture. Do a little research and decide where you would be on the risk spectrum.
If I treat, all that honey is bee feed. It would not bother me one iota to use that honey, but I have no need for it. I finish pulling honey before end of July, and everything after is Winter stores, as mite treatments start as soon as last super is off. Whatever the bees don’t consume over Winter is food for splits or if we have extended bad weather it stays in the hives.
I’m very small scale, provide honey to family and friends.
You just have to determine if you have a risk, and how big that is. Your call, in my opinion.
Brian

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
I would say taste it and if it is good go for it, I think tests in Europe concluded that OA treatments had little effect on the amount of OA in honey, Formic acid also had little effect on the amounts that reside in honey. Actually if you think about it the OA crystals are more likely to infiltrate brood combs with young larvae in them than honey supers and yet the young larvae suffer no ill effect and us humans are a little larger so I cannot see any harm coming about from eating OA treated honey

1 - 5 of 5 Posts