Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that overwinter in singles, is it too early to push them down to one story? I started last week so i could put medications on, but they're still drawing a little comb and theres about 3 lbs of bees on the front of some hives. I'm worried about them running out of room and/or swarming. Just seems a little too early. I'd like to hear from some other beekeepers in the area.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
I like 2 - 8 frame mediums, but same thing almost. It's too early here in my opinion, but we have had (and are continuing to have) very unusually good forage availability this year, and there is still a good chance for comb building and honey storage.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
I'd be scared to run them down if they where still drawing comb. I'm not very good at timing, your probably a better beekeeper than me. I've split singles that I thought where too strong going into winter and end up lugging syrup.

Isn't there still a little nectar yet to come (usually very little) from Spanish needle and/or goldenrod up there?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
>your probably a better beekeeper than me.

I wouldn't know, but thanks.

>Isn't there still a little nectar yet to come (usually very little) from Spanish needle and/or goldenrod up there?

They could make some off of goldenrod, but our fall flows are usually weak. I'm also noticing a quite significant population decline in many hives( probably a combination of the nectar flow slowing down and mites), which is why I wanted to pull supers so early so I could medicate. I guess I'm trying to find the lesser of two evils.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts