Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a picture of a double nuc that was sitting on a ten frame deep box. The box was acting as a hive stand. I think the picture was one of Mike Palmers, but not sure. But it did trigger a thought about the ground keeping the girls warm. If that box was buried half way, and maybe a post hole under it and an inner cover on that or even a screen on it with the brood box sitting on that, would that keep them from freezing. Maybe if you also wrapped the hive. Just a thought. Has anyone heard this before, done it?

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
I read something along this line in one of the older books. cannot recall which one. They describe digging a ditch and placing the hives in it. Then covering it all back up again. There are more details than that I just don't recall them. One of the problems I see with it is holes tend to gather water. Make some way for it to drain.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
If I were worried about it (our climate is pretty moderate), I'd overwinter in the downstairs of the garage. That's 1/2 below grade. It is dry and windproof, with a lot of thermal mass to even out temperature.

I'd need to rig some tubing and a hole thru the sill plate to give them an exit for cleansing.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
If that box was buried half way, and maybe a post hole under it and an inner cover on that or even a screen on it with the brood box sitting on that, would that keep them from freezing.
Considering that the frost depth in NE Ky is somewhere around 24 inches, I don't think that you would get much by burying a deep half way. A good wind screen would probably be a better idea.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts