Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my hives went queenless - I found out during an inspection on Saturday the 14th. The activity level had gone down, and when I opened the hive, there was no brood or honey. Up until then, they had been doing ok. I don't think that they were robbed, because I never saw any dead bees on the ground, or that kind of activity. I was able to get a queen, and put her in the next day. Checked them this past Friday, the queen was out, and they seemed much "happier". I started feeding them 1:1 and a pollen patty when I saw that they had no food, and they are taking that. The question is - should I consolidate the hive down to a Nuc and try to overwinter them that way, or hope that they can build up enough stores for the winter in the two deeps that they are in now? Any thoughts on overwintering nucs is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
429 Posts
You said activity was way down? what was the bee numbers? were they down too, or did you still have bees aplenty?? If the numbers are down too, remove the second deep and store it to protect the wax. Throw the feeder at them. If they fill everything, and need room, put the second deep back on them. but split the empty frames so they are in both deeps. keep the feed bag on them tight. If you get them back to double deep full you will winter good, but I don't know how well you will winter there in a story and a half hive.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts