Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a couple packages of bees in early April that had been overheated on the trip from Georgia to Wisconsin. I had been assured they would do fine. They were 3 lb. packages that were sold as 2 lb. packages. No exaggeration there was a minimum of 3 full inches of dead bees on bottom of cage. I am new at this. But I should have done a little research before purchasing them. Both packages died. I am asking for any information anyone has on overheated bees. How about whether or not they should have been sold after being exposed to extreme heat that killed countless amounts of bees. I've been told by other beekeepers that this is not an isolated case of overheated bees. It happens quite often. Should be lots of information out there I hope.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
It amazes me at what people will do for a dollar. Once a package of bees has overheated like that and there were so many dead in the cage, the rest were doomed from my point of view. A good package of bees should never have more than about 1/2 inch of dead bees, fewer than that is best. For instance my packages this year had an average of about a dozen dead bees in them. Each package has done very well so far. No complaints at all.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I've never accepted packages that had more than a cup of dead bees. If they can't meet my standard I won't do business with them. If they assured you they would be just fine that's what's known as a verbal contract. Demand your money back from your supplier!

·
Registered
378 Posts
And offer to advertise your stellar customer experience..

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Wolf Creek Apiaries Centerville TN. Haven't found anyone who produces better packages. There might be but I've not found them yet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts