Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Overdramatic? "Responding to an S.O.S. from the Commercial Beekeeping Industry"

Realizing that a title is supposed to be catchy, I'm still bothered by the S.O.S. part. Who sent up the S.O.S.? And whom were they hoping would respond? The EPA? Marla Spivak? Are we talking about the disastrous but legal tank mix here?

·
Registered
850 Posts
Re: Overdramatic? "Responding to an S.O.S. from the Commercial Beekeeping Industry"

Realizing that a title is supposed to be catchy, I'm still bothered by the S.O.S. part. Who sent up the S.O.S.? And whom were they hoping would respond? The EPA? Marla Spivak? Are we talking about the disastrous but legal tank mix here?
I too was a little confused by what is the message they are trying to get across? My take on it was that they saying that the Tech transfer teams are one response to help beekeepers- a way to help beekeepers monitor the mite and nosema levels in their colonies. This seems more for backyard or hobbyists (who IMHO should be able to do mite tests themselves) and not really for commercials. I don't know. My friend did it in their pilot last year and it was great to get nice organized data on his mite and nosema loads with charts and a comparison to others- but still seems that most beekeepers could do half of this themselves (mite loads). I guess anything to help beekeepers understand he disease presence in their colonies is a help- but where the heck are the local associations and mentors? Aren't they doing that education?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Re: Overdramatic? "Responding to an S.O.S. from the Commercial Beekeeping Industry"

Who sent up the S.O.S.? And whom were they hoping would respond? The EPA? Marla Spivak? Are we talking about the disastrous but legal tank mix here?
It's an online Webinar, next Monday, April 14th, provided via the Michigan State University extension program:
http://msue.anr.msu.edu/events/responding_to_an_sos_from_the_commercial_beekeeping_industry

"This FREE webinar series is sponsored by the North Central Regional Center for Rural Development," according to the PDF posted at:
http://ncrcrd.msu.edu/ncrcrd/innovations_in_agriculture_and_rural_development

It looks like Spivak is the speaker, and the emphasis is on their response -- a “Bee Tech Transfer Team” program through the Bee Informed Partnership -- rather than the SOS. The webinars are recorded and posted at the NCRCRD webpage above.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts