Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 5, 1 box 5 frame Nuc's and 3, 3 story 5 frame Nuc's. My original plan was to use the top box on my 3 story Nuc's to make 2 story Nuc's with the current 1 Story Nuc's. But looking it, my plans have not worked out and now i will have two Odd single story nuc's.

I also have two production hives. My question is, I have read that you can over winter nuc's on production hive's. Does that mean place a Queen excluder on the top of the production hive and then the Nuc? If so could I put two nuc's using queen excluder's on top successfully? So Production hives, QE, Nuc's, QE, Nuc's, Top's

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have 5, 1 box 5 frame Nuc's and 3, 3 story 5 frame Nuc's. My original plan was to use the top box on my 3 story Nuc's to make 2 story Nuc's with the current 1 Story Nuc's. But looking it, my plans have not worked out and now i will have two Odd single story nuc's.

I also have two production hives. My question is, I have read that you can over winter nuc's on production hive's. Does that mean place a Queen excluder on the top of the production hive and then the Nuc? If so could I put two nuc's using queen excluder's on top successfully? So Production hives, QE, Nuc's, QE, Nuc's, Top's
Another thought would be what about a queen right nuc on top of a queen right nuc, with excluder between them of course?

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
My climate is probably similar to yours. I overwinter single, standalone five frame nucs most winters. It can be a bit tricky. The main issue is starvation. They get a lift regularly in winter and any hint of lightness is addressed by a pint or two of 2:1. I use hivetop feeders.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I've had great success overwintering 5 frame nucs. Mine going into winter are usually 2-3 boxes high. Actually, they have come out of winter as strong as my 10.frame hives which are 2 to 3 boxes high. Smaller, but very strong. Also, they tend to grow at a faster rate than 10 framers. I usually do a split from them with 5 frames of well populated frames from the nuc, and a second box with 3-4 frames in second top box with resources from my other hives. They are rocking at 3.weeks along.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts