Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I thought all was good...
I inspected on October 13th feeding sugar water syrup.
I have 2 hives. The larger one is photoed below:
All was good with bees all over the top bars:

I put plugs in the center hole in each, and reduced the entrance from 2 1/2 inch to 1 inch. my smaller hive is photoed here:
It dipped to as cold as 28 degrees...

Then yesterday 11-28-13 I go to put sugar on the top bars:
I see almost virtually no bees. A significant population reduction.

My smaller hive (in the blue box) On 10-13-13:

And now it has still loads of bees:

This is how I am doing my over winter feeding with 2 sheets of newspaper and sugar:

Since I am giving both hives the same care and on the same days I don't understand what may be happening..
Also when I fed on 10-13-13 the larger hive (the one that colapsed) finished all 96 ounces of sugar water..
The smaller hive finished about 75% and there was dead bees on top of the floats.

Anybody experienced this? I wonder of I soffocated them when I reduced the entrance and put a cork in their top hole.

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
When you say "larger" hive, what does that mean? If it's 2 deeps then the bees may be clustered in the bottom box.

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
OK. Have you removed the entrance reducer and looked at the bottom board to see if the bees are piled up dead or are they just missing now?

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
Both look to me to be low on bees for overwintering. For one box I would expect to not be able to see the top bars of the frames.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Viral collapse. Some shots of the middle of the cluster will show brood in "sad" shape I'm sure. Any sign of DWF on the bees that still inhabit the hive?

·
Banned
4,229 Posts
Perhaps he should simply put in an order for new bees now, rather than wait.

I don't see capped honey anywhere in the semi-strong hive. Also, while it could just be bad lighting, etc., the texture/color looks off on the bees on the top bar. That could be due to DWV or some other pathogen.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts