Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I caught a small swarm last year. Put them in a single deep. Took them out to a friends house and walked away. I checked on them a couple times last year and all was good. Well as my mind go’s a million directions I forgot about them. And when I did remember about them I was miles away and didn’t make the trip to check on them.

So…I was over by them today. So I decided to go check on them. Knowing in my mind there is no way they made it thru this strange winter we had in a single deep. Well sure enough they are just as strong as can bee. I didn’t do a full inspection just opened the lid. Caulk full of bees. I thought that was pretty cool. Going back tomorrow to add a brood box. I am going to have to start paying more attention to these "survivors."

·
Registered
817 Posts
I let 2 mid summer swarms winter over in single deeps and they both made it. I was kinda suprised. We had a very mild winter with just 1 , 2 week cold snap down around 15 degrees. Not sure if they would do as good with a longer maybe 6 week cold period.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
very cool, I did the same with a small late August swarm, did an inspection the other day, (58 degrees) they look great lots of bees and a nice looking cordovan queen.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
I used single deeps exclusively when I was commercial. I never lost a hive. Now with Varroa, small hive beetles, tracheal mites, etc. I run a deep and a medium. I find more beetles and problems in the two super configuration. It might be easier to defend and heat/ventilate less volume.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
very cool, I did the same with a small late August swarm, did an inspection the other day, (58 degrees) they look great lots of bees and a nice looking cordovan queen.
Congrats! Those Cordovans are some pretty bees!

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
yeah but its Texas...how much of a winter could there be?? :scratch: Crazy bacon eating beeks!

·
Registered
266 Posts
yeah but its Texas...how much of a winter could there be?? :scratch: Crazy bacon eating beeks!
Normally....not much. But alas, we actually had winter this year - and a lot of it! :cry: Not the usual two or three weeks, then moving on, but snow and everything. Couldn't even wear shorts for Christmas - it snowed! :eek:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts