Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Made a walk-a-way split about three weeks ago. Put a second deep super on each of the splits. In the supers I alternated with a frame of drawn comb and a foundationless frame. ( wanted to try foundationless and read that this was a way to go about incoporating them.)Took a peek in the top of the original strong hive that the split was made from and discovered all 5 drawn comb frames have been drawn out so much there is zero room for any of the foundationless frames. I mean they are THICK , estimate about 4 inches across and almost all full of nectar and honey ( busy bees :)). What is the best way to remedy this situation and have a "normal" deep super with 10 frames all drawn out equally?
Also, this hive I left queenless to raise their own queen and don't want to go rummaging around too much for another week or so.

Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Banned
1,016 Posts
:D I found about the same effect when I tried foundationless.
Turns out the idea is to put a foundationless frame between capped drawn frames or brood (since they will not make brood deeper). Of course you must have enough of these type of frames to put foundationless between.

I use at least 3/4 wax foundation down the frame, I prefer all wax.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That makes so much sense! Thanks for the input. In future I'll gradually go foundationless when I have enough capped drawn out frames to put between them. Live and learn. Thanks

·
Registered
173 Posts
It's ok to alternate to get them started BUT you have to watch them CLOSE and put the original frames back once they begin to draw comb. I do not like the "mess" when they keep drawing out the old combs. If you leave them split too long you just can't get all the old frames back in the super.
They are not going to draw comb if there is no honeyflow.

·
Registered
326 Posts
At this point I would wait until the frames are capped. Your hot knife will take care of the extra depth (you will just have more "cappings" to process). Then put the frames back in, and only add foundationless between capped frames. You might check your foundationless frames to make sure they are enticing to the bees: i.e. good sharp line from popsicle sticks or "vee" cut with saw, rubbed with wax along line you want them to build on, ect. I have had pretty good luck with mine, even giving them a box of nothing but foundationless. Don't give up!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts