Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to beekeeping. First hive is doing well. Just checked it and found lots of pollen, capped cells, larve, and capped/uncapped honey.

I live on a small creek/river (about 1/4 mile wide). I know bees will fly up to a couple of miles in search of nectar but will they fly over open water? I've got miles of upland on three sides but there are a lot of soybean fields just across the creek (and they are starting to flower).

Just wondering.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
The thing is about bees, they are hard working when they need to be, but lazy just like me when they don't.

In my experience, they rarely fly more than a 1/4 mi if they don't have to. Rumor says they will fly up to 5 miles if desperate for food, but that seem like too far to be economical. In other words they can't carry home more food than they burned flying 10 mi round trip. It is a net loss at some point.

So, yes they will fly across the river to the soybeans, but only once they find it. And they might not find it right away if other things are in bloom closer to home.

It just depends on availability and the richness of the food source, but I don't think a 1/4 mi of water is a significant barrier to them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts