Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Outside Feeding using Porous Air Bubbling Hoses

943 Views 9 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  JojoJaro
I am going to try this one more time. I hope I do not get knee-jerk insults. Just discuss the merits and negatives of the idea.

I have seen one video of a guy using porous hoses to feed sugar syrup to his bees.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cR-DwOMmHPk

My idea is to hang this hose on a tree limb or branch and pump it with sugar syrup to have outside feeding for the entire apiary yard. The motivation for hanging is to avoid ants. I will be hanging this porous hose using .28mm nylon monofilament fishing twine. I have read that ants have trouble climbing thin nylon threads.

I may still have unwelcomed feeders from other nectar drinking insects, but hopefully, only the bees would drink most of my sugar syrup.

Of course, this only makes sense if you are feeding hundreds or even thousands of colonies.

I have 2 questions that some here may be able to answer.

1. How long do bees take to drink a full crop? In other words, once they start drinking, nectar or syrup, how long does it take for them to be full? I have searched the Internet for this answer without success. Does anyone with an outside feeder know this answer?

2. How many times in a 12-hour foraging period does a bee visit the same spot to drink. I've read that they come back to the same spot (i.e. flower) multiple times. I am trying to figure out the aggregate amount of time in a 12-hour period to allocate to one bee.

The intent of the above questions is to try to figure out the length of the hose needed for a certain number of bees, much like how cattle, goat and chicken growers try to figure out the number of feeding stalls or feeding spaces to provide to avoid fighting and crowding as they feed their livestock.

Does anyone have experience with this?

I am aware of some of the problems with outside feeding but I think I can mitigate them. I hope this thread does not devolve into a discussion of the merits and negatives of outside feeding. That topic is for a different thread.

Once again, someone will suggest I measure this myself. Alas, like I said, I have Apis cerana. I would like to figure this out for Apis mellifera.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2,877 Posts
I would not get farther than thinking about mold inside the hose before going back to conventional thinking. It is not that hard to feed inside. or open feed in trough feeder.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.