Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After many many years of keen observation, I have begun to be able to diagnose colony conditions merely by observing the exterior of the hive.

A little late with the second story!

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Me too. Three quarters of the hives on the first pallet are doing infinitely much better than the other quarter. Not only is it queenless, it is disease free and unproductive.

I had an inspection report from a yard of bees that I had in Ohio once upon a time. The hives were never opened yet the inspectors diagnosis of queenlessness was correct. How about that?

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Very astute observations, Mark, the sign of a Master.

All joking aside, it is true that much can be learned by watching the activity and entrance and by rapping on the hive and listening, especially in the evening.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
When the inspector was out in May, he could tell a queenless or drone laying hive just by openning the top of the hive. And, upon a complete inspection he was right.
Over the last couple of years, with growing the bee yards, I have had to rely on observations of a hive instead of a full blown inspection during certain times of the year. If i had to inspect every hive every time, i would never get all my work done.
There are times when a complete work up is necessary, and there are times when looking and listening are enough.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts