Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed 2 nucs 3 weeks ago, bees not going onto any of the outer frames. Is there a way to encourage this or am I expecting too much too soon?

·
Registered
580 Posts
I found this to be the case when I was still getting very cold nights. Otherwise, you can try shortening the hive. I use all mediums so if I was in that position, I would take off the top box and redistribute any active frames into the bottom two boxes and let them build out. Then add back the third box when they got to 80% full.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found this to be the case when I was still getting very cold nights. Otherwise, you can try shortening the hive. I use all mediums so if I was in that position, I would take off the top box and redistribute any active frames into the bottom two boxes and let them build out. Then add back the third box when they got to 80% full.
I only have 1 brood box on per hive, so that is not an option. They are 10 frame deeps.

·
Registered
580 Posts
They could just be slow. Mine certainly are this year, but we had a real winter and are having a cold spring for the first time in a while so we are trying our best to be patient with our bees in my area.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
A light syrup (1:1 or less sugar content) can encourage building out frames in the spring by ensuring that they have enough carbohydrates to do it. But you may be expecting too much too quickly. Eggs laid by your queen on the day you transferred the nuc are only now beginning to emerge as nurse bees today and will not start flying for another 3 weeks from now. If you have a laying queen, the bees will build to suit her.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Give them more time, but it is pretty normal for them to ignore the outside frames even when the hive gets up to speed. When they have drawn all the other frames in a box, simply move an outside one towards the middle next to the brood frames and a drawn one in its place. Do not insert between brood frames. While that can be done, it should be done with a more mature hive, in warm weather for (commonly) swarm control. J

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
3,379 Posts
you are expecting too much, my target is a double in a month so 5 frames to 10 in 30 days.
the good queens will beat that and the poorer one maybe need a few more days.
be careful not to leave the good queen swarm away. each hive will be a bit different.

if using foundation or FL frames perhaps feed a bit or Syrup

GG

1 - 8 of 8 Posts