Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hived a new package on May 11. I'm using 8 frame equipment and bees are Russians. I put tape over candy end of queen cage for slower intro and went back to hive on May 16 and removed tape. Queen is alive but I noticed the bees were all drawing pretty much only on the first and second frame. Why aren't they closer to the middle where the queen is. New to this and am a bit nervous. Going back tomorrow to check if queen has been released and accepted.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Why would you wait so long to release a queen? I don't have any experience with Russians - is this a normal practice with this breed?

Many people direct release when they get their package home. Most install the queen and let the bees release her. To my way of thinking, she's already been with this group of bees three days at least, and then given three more inside your hive while she escapes.
Waiting a full week just seems like an unnecessarily long time....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jackman,
I'm new to this but instruction for queen release from the master beekeeper we take classes with and where we purchased our package were to install the queen cage and leave her alone for 5 days. For russians, which he mainly deals with, instruction is to place a piece of masking tape over the outer candy end for a "slow release" for a better chance of acceptance which adds a couple of days. Why? I'm guessing it has to do with the russian strain-not sure. will check today to make sure she is out of her cage. Still like some feedback on why the bees were drawing on theouter frames 1 and 2. Is this abnormal behavior?

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
I agree, it's time to release the queen.

Do you notice if the bees are using the entrance right below the frames they are working?

·
Registered
145 Posts
DISCLAIMER: I am the least likely person to give bee advice to you..... I was taught, and believe, bees will do what bees will do. I saw something that said "NEVER SAW THEY WILL CAUSE THEY WON'T, NEVER SAY THEY WON'T CAUSE THEY WILL. Does she have Brood in the middle with no attendant bees or is there brood just on the first two frames? I wouldnt worry to much about the frame deal, they will run out of room on those frames and eventually work it out to finish the rest of the frames and keep her in the middle.

Again see the DISCLAIMER at the top

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Follow your Russian master's advice. I'd expect that the queen cage should be roughly centered nearest the bulk of the bees, comb building or otherwise, but I know nothing of Russians.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Checked the hive, queen is out of her cage and seems fine . They created a good chunk of burr on #2 but have started on frame # 3. The entrance reducer is on the other side of the super at frames 7 and 8. They started #7 but very little. I'll check the hive next weekend. Thanks for the advice and help. It is greatly appreciated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts