Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the best ways to feed pollen subs. outside? Any good ideas on a rain proof feeder? Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
Some people use bird feeders to feed dry outside.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Feeding pollen subs inside the hive in areas with SHB is a recipe for trouble. Therefore, I bought the pollen feeder sold by Mann Lake in order to open feed pollen. It works well but I did pretty good before I bought it by just placing the pollen sub in a 5 gallon bucket that was laid on its side. This keeps dew, and even rain out, if the bucket is placed so that the opening is downhill. I still use this method in out yards where theft is a problem.

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
Cut a 5 gallon bucket lid in half. Put the half lid back on the bucket, and wedge the bucket on its side in the fork of a tree.

Or use an empty hive body with no frames in it. Bottom board, empty box with dry sub, and lid on top. The bees will find it.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
Take a Screened Bottom Board, put it on a solid bottom board on a stand and lay some window screen on top of the #8 hardware cloth. Put an empty box on top of that. Dump in the pollen (or substitute or mixture of both) and put a cover on top of that. Make sure there is a way in and out, of course in case the pollen blocks the bottom entrance, it's nice to have a top one. A standard bottom board works well for this as a cover as you can move it to where both the front and back of the top can be used for entrances.

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
Remember one thing if you feed outside in a bucket -- drum laying on its side the dang ***** luv it too :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts