Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has been a pretty good year for honey in my area, but I have just sold the last of my spring crop. It seems everywhere I have been today people have ask for honey. I think today would have been a good day for sales if only I had some left... Bees are working soybeans at present , just waiting for them to cap.... I have a big honey for sale sign at the entrance to my drive ,, Took it down two days ago and people are still stopping asking for honey... It seems in my area the demand for local honey is growing.....
I hate telling people I,m out..... I tell them to watch for my sign,,, maybe it won't be long until I put it up again... Anyone else selling out of honey?

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I have 2 quarts that i kept for me, other than that....100+ lbs gone

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Sales are excellant and I'm not out of honey yet. I sold around 100 5 gal pails so far.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I took off about 50gals. got 15gals left.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Well, that's sorta what I was going to say. mayb e one reason you are out so soon is that you let it go to cheaply or, as is probably the case, demand exceeds supply. In which case the price still should be higher than what you were previously charging.

paintingpreacher, what are you charging for your honey? What ever it is, raise the price and you will still sell out. How many hives do you have? If you are selling from your house, have a day on which you are there to sell honey. Put up a sign and stick to it.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
180 pounds gone. in 4 weeks. Net to me, $3.50 per pound. I raised my prices this year, slightly above what seems to be the going rate around here. I'll raise them again next year. If I get a crop off soybeans and do a farmer's market, I'll raise my prices there, but keep them the same for church members. Wish the clover crop in May hadn't failed.
Regards,
Steven

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
i think people are beginning to seek out more local honey as a way to help their allergies. The word is spreading on that issue.
I live in a small rural town, and whenever the subject comes up that I keep bees, strangers keep saying to me "You know if you eat local honey it will help with any pollen/hayfever allergies you might have."
At least in my area, people seem to be going to the farmers markets and local food coops twice as much as they used to 10 years ago, and they are wanting to buy local honey. People want to be healthy and they want to avoid imports and/or contaminated food from unknown sources.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I can not sell at an Okla farmers market unless I sling my honey in a state certified and county inspected kitchen:(

Non-potentially hazardous canned, bottled and packaged processed food items (includes honey, salsa, jams and non-hazardous cheese)
 Must be produced in a certified kitchen inspected and in compliance with the Oklahoma Department of Health
 Producer's processing area must be inspected by the County Health Department.
 Containers must be labeled showing the name of the product, additive (if any), weight, name and address of producer.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Hey, Jim...right now I am going around giving 4 oz jars away for free (still waiting on my 2 oz bears) to folks to try then later word of mouth, out of the back of the car, put a sign in front of your house on weekends, and then there is my wife's Pilate's studio...Cha Ching! When I lived in a small town we had a parade once a year and I would set up a table at that. I would set up a table if we had a garage sale, stuff like that. If you are the member of any social clubs or a Church let those folks know. Once folks find out, you will be surprised how quickly you will run out.:)
Mike
Let me also say that is a market sponsored by OSU and therefor under strict rules from the state, some of the smaller ones may be less strict.

A list http://www.okgrown.com/markets/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts