Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are a few pictures I took this evening (04/20/2010) of our first swarm of the year.

Had a feeling my #1 hive was getting ready to swarm when I opened it up on Sunday and found
comb attached to the inner cover with multiple queen cells. Also learned a very good lesson too.
Always remove the empty honey super that you used for winter feeding when the weather had warmed up
or the bees will show you how they will fill it up.

My Nuc box runnith over...

Here's my lesson learned...Do not leave an empty super on hive.

Hope you all like the pictures,
Charlie

·
Registered
508 Posts
Wow, ha ha. That's great. Well you have some comb you can use now.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I sprayed them with 1:1 sugar syrup and then cut the tree off with a Bow Saw.
As I slowly lowered the tree down, I set it on top of a big rubbermaid container
and tapped it a couple of times and had them in the container.

I had to go back one more time and get the little group that had formed up after I had taken the main group. They had let on a smaller branch than the first group, so I just snapped it off and carried them over to the Nuc box.

Not too bad, this was all only about 3 or 4 feet up in the tree and they were just barely into my neighbor's yard. Makes it real handy to walk to get a swarm.

I placed them into a Nuc box overnight, and this morning moved them into a Hive of their own.

Charlie

·
Registered
Bee Wrangler
736 Posts
Quick get the empty frames and rubber bands for that wild comb.

Looks to be full of brood.

Good catch!!

G3

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Sure enough, there are a batch of queen cells there. That was a huge swarm (to me) I wonder how many times that hive was going to swarm if you left it alone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts