Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
second year beekeeper here and I just learned to from now on tape around my ankles. Received about sixty stings in my shoes and around a dozen crawled up my pants leg stinging my legs and through my socks. Had to retreat and tape up for round two. Hive isn't aggressive they just seemed to aim at my feet while arm deep in the brood chamber. just thought i'd share.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Nope 60 stings isn't aggressive, it's super mega aggressive!!!!!!
Tape up and pinch your queen, and buy a new one, don't let them raise it.
Have fun.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^No stings anywhere else except a couple on the gloves. Also the hive was all the way apart during the evening.
Had to do the work with one arm since I broke my arm last week and I was smushing a decent amount of bees in the process but I think they aimed for my feet from stepping on bees and then compounded the problem by smashing bees that were on my sock. my bee suit doesn't make a good connection to my tenni shoes.

This hive I established from a cutout is getting big very fast compared to my last year hives that died during the winter and I already have 3/4 super of honey with no feeding and they are hard workers compared to last years bees, maybe this is normal to you guys but these are the best I've had.

I do live in a africanized hot zone and this hive was at least a decade old before I cut it out but they seem pretty nice and I can sit right next to the hive with only 1 or 2 buzzing around and smacking my vale.

Also i'm stuck with them because I can't find the queen, haha,

·
Registered
358 Posts
35 years ago when helping my dad with his hives we would locate them on top of the garage in the OaK Cliff part of Dallas. Served 2 purposes got them out of the yard and the flight path didn't endanger the neighbors. These were swarms that the fire dept would call him to remove Oh the story, had one hive that would only attack you ankles when we inspected them. I rember because this was "my" hive. He called them caucasians. Because of the colar they were. Back then there was no requeening. We just knew when you worked this hive no vail was needed but anckle protection was. And I'm pretty sure that African bees wern't here yet. Only hive that ever did that.

·
Registered
375 Posts
If you've got your work done, leave them alone for awhile, or at least until your arm heals. Like brac said, pinch your queen.

I tick off the girls, but they only headbutt and chase to let me know they don't appreciate me monkeying around with their house. Once I get in the garage, I swear I can see them shake their little fists at me.

·
Registered
676 Posts
One of two things are going on here. Either:

a) You're in denial. Those bees ARE defensive. 60 stings in my yard is completely unacceptable! In fact, 10 stings when an accident occurs is right at the upper limit of what I'll accept from my girls. Or...

b) You need to re-assess your beekeeping technique. You shouldn't be stepping on bees, just like you shouldn't store frames where you can accidentally kick them. Maybe it's your busted wing causing you to handle frames roughly. In that case, become a mentor while you're on the mend, and have a newbie help you. You'll both come out ahead in the long run.

DS

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
and I was smushing a decent amount of bees in the process

Right there is a big part of your problem.

Try wearing FEWER clothes next time. You'll learn to be more gentle and stop smashing and killing so many bees.

You were using smoke weren't you?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Normally I am but I had to do the inspection with one hand since I broke my right arm earlier in the week. It is hard to be steady and accurate with one hand when there is propolis everywhere

·
Registered
72 Posts
Man I would requeen for sure. I work my hives in shorts and a tee shirt and have never been stung that many times at once. :doh:

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Then again, what was the weather like during the inspection? Is it during a dearth, and robbing from other colonies? There are many factors, some you've already mentioned, that would make a normally gentle hive rather defensive.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I think the broken arm gave it away as well.......mine do not like it when you smash one even by accident,

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Man I would requeen for sure. I work my hives in shorts and a tee shirt and have never been stung that many times at once. :doh:
Last years bees were like that and mites took them all down, so I am hesitant to replace the queen with a gentle one having the other shoe drop and dying in the winter which is very mild here never having highs below 50.

Also even if I wanted to requeen I can't because I can not find her.
Guess i will see what happens when fall comes and if need be I will try to requeen.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
It's not your queen. Obviously you were rough in handling the bees. The fell all over the ground and just crawled up your pant leg. Getting trapped they are going to sting. Next time try and get someone to help you and coach them through it if you are tearing up a hive with one arm. The bees are ok...you learned a lesson...it's ok, no big deal.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had a hive get nasty with me last summer...they went right for my ankles. I purchased a pair of rubber boots which I now wear under my bee suit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts