Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
I am not from that area but if it is like every where else in Arkansas there are feral bees there.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
The last ones I saw were in about '03.
They were in a tree about about chest high, at the intersection of the main road and a log road where hunters like to congregate.
The next year, when I went to see about them someone had cut them out with a chainsaw and burned the cavity.

There is a slope with Autumn Olive growing on it that vibrates with Bumbles but no Honey Bees. I have not been back in a few years, but maybe things have changed.

We never saw any in our garden either until I got bees. I set out a yellow dish baited with honey on a few occasions. The only thing we drew were ants.

One year in about '06 a small swarm moved into a Farmall Cub gas tank that I had here, but they left when I tried to get them into hive. Well, a wooden box with a lid on it.

Maybe they are out there, just few and far between. I haven't paid much attention lately, all the rain makes it difficult. On the good days I have other thing to do.

Alex

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
You're welcome. I think I will make a point next year to visit that slope where the Autumn Olive is growing. I's only about 6 miles, as the bee flies, from me.

Alex

1 - 5 of 5 Posts