Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have made splits taking Queens over to new splits and notching eggs in original hives using OTS method. Several original donor hives have made Q cups and are doing well. 2 Hives seem to take the cells down in a few days despite multiple attempts and new frames of notching eggs. Have waited 40 days after Q cells hatched in one of them with no eggs, no mated queens seen. Retried with more notched eggs... still no luck. I am notching the bottom third of cells containg eggs down to the foundation and then pulling down at a 45 degree angle to the next row of cells being sure not to harm the eggs. Should I be notching just hatched larvae instead of eggs? Notching eggs seemed to work fine in several other hives. If I can't get these two recalcitrant hives to make their own queens, will have to order some. I researched, read and ordered Q grafting supplies but this will take at least a month to get mated, laying queens. Any thoughts, suggestions appreciated. Many thanks.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
When you give them an OTS notched comb are you also giving them some nurse bees? Maybe donate a frame of capped ready to emerge brood three or four days before and then shake in a bunch of nurse bees a few hours before you add the OTS comb.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for feedback and questions. Yes, I did add nurse bees. Also the first problem hive had queen cells, they emerged, I waited total of 30 days and still no sign of virgin or mated queen or eggs. So I donated additional egg and nurse bees with OTS notching. They ignored notching and did not produce queen cells. So, not sure what's going on. So to save the queen less hives, I ordered queens and will regroup. Ordered grafting gear and will start queen rearing to have backup queens. Always an educational experience. Thanks for help and input.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I have always notched the smallest larvae I could find. I also flatten the cells below the notches to what I guess to be about the length of a QC.

Alex

1 - 5 of 5 Posts