Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Farming, hunting, and trapshooting. I love farming but its more like work now.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Summer- flower, fruit and vegetable gardening.
Winter- reading, planning the above, building computers, and playing with different Linux Operating Systems.

Oh, I should include mowing. I mow so much it feels like it should be a hobby.

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
I'm with Michael. Everything is interesting. Sometimes I divide it up between hobbies and passions. Even the passion list is long....

·
Premium Member
7,923 Posts
Building small wood projects, primarily bird houses and feeders, gardening, watching birds and butterflies.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Besides keeping bees, raising queens and nucs, while harvesting a little honey, my other hobbies include;

Cultivating, propagating, and breeding carnivorous plants;

Growing and propagating thirty varieties of bamboo on our acre in the desert;

Growing several citrus varieties (Navel oranges, lemons, and grapefruit), two varieties of figs (Mission and Brown Turkey), and other assorted fruit trees;

We grow a vegetable garden - year-round, mostly in fifteen gallon pots (so my wife can access them from her wheel chair);

Woodworking, I build almost all my own bee equipment, but also anything else that is built of wood, including my own greenhouse;

I am a computer technician, I build and repair PCs for myself and for family and friends - my day job used to be telephone tech support for Windows XP.

I raise pharaoh quail for eggs and meat. I designed my own incubators (and the electronics), including one that can handle six hundred quail eggs at a time. I built the cages where the quail are kept.

We raise koi in an old hot tub that is sunk into the ground in the shade of a Palo Verde tree and a Bambusa 'Hirose' bamboo.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Bottle digging, metal detecting, gardening, fishing, hunting, blacksmithing, and just started woodworking and bowl turning, trying hard to keep all 10 fingers.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Maple Sugaring!!!
Started this year. What a great little hobby to prep me for the new beekeeping season. Even though this spring wasn't great for sap flow I still enjoyed it.

Can't wait until next February!

Oh, of course I also enjoy the great outdoors. Golf, fishing, kayaking in the summer, snowshoeing, xc skiing, and of course downhill skiing in the winter. While at home I keep a veggie garden (my original reason for keeping bees) and driving around on my tractor! :D

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
propagating live coral,
breeding tortoises
Gardening
remote control helicopter
beekeeping

The beekeeping has put some of the other hobbies on the back burner.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, I know what you mean. Since I started beekeeping, I've barely touched my bike. Only had it out a few times this spring/summer so far... plus, I dumped a good chunk of my hobby money into bee stuff, so I can't afford to do much to any of my bikes....

·
Registered
514 Posts
I grow giant pumpkins, and farm alpacas. I am growing my pumpkins this year where our alpacas are boarded. We work out there a lot so we only have to pay for feed. As well as my pumpkins we are having a HUGE garden with our alpaca farmer friend that we put the tranplants in last night so there is now-

61 tomatoes plants (10 ish varities)
At the very least that many pepper plants (12 or 14 varities)
25 squash plants of different kinds
10 or 12 catinlope plants
a few eggs plant
a few cabbage
a few rubarb
we still have to plant from seed=
green beans
dry beans
sweet corn\
the list goes on

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
growing edible mushrooms, 5 kinds going right now. hunting season. running around the woods with my family.construction was my job but it's turned into more of a hobby.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts