Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to set up a hive, but the place has lots of carpenter bees during the spring. Will the carpenter bees interfere in any way with honey bees?

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have heard from very few beekeepers located in southern states that had an issue with them drilling holes in woodenware. I have them every year that nest in one board on my barn that they are attracted to, but never my hives. I like them and don't have a problem with them. The drones with the white square on their head are fun to watch chasing a little stone tossed in the air. But for some they can be destructive and have to be exterminated. I never saw any issues with carpenter and honey bees in my area. Yellow jackets and bald face hornets are only a problem in my location if you let a hive go weak. Bumblebees are killed if they enter a strong hive too many times. That's my experience with other bees. Beekeepers in different states may have issues with them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have heard from very few beekeepers located in southern states that had an issue with them drilling holes in woodenware. I have them every year that nest in one board on my barn that they are attracted to, but never my hives. I like them and don't have a problem with them. The drones with the white square on their head are fun to watch chasing a little stone tossed in the air. But for some they can be destructive and have to be exterminated. I never saw any issues with carpenter and honey bees in my area. Yellow jackets and bald face hornets are only a problem in my location if you let a hive go weak. Bumblebees are killed if they enter a strong hive too many times. That's my experience with other bees. Beekeepers in different states may have issues with them.
Thank you for the reply,

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
They won't bother the other bees but they can do a lot of damage to trim, sheds, etc. If you have them around, check for structural damage before they get worse.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts