Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I build my own equipment and Ive never used osb in anything yet I need to make 20 or so telescoping covers and I was thinking about using it using it for the top board which would get covered by aluminum. Is this stuff bad for bees? Any thoughts on this? I got a ton of it around.:scratch::scratch:

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
there are different grades but most will swell 2-3 times it thickness after getting wet. best use is the inside wall of your honey house'

·
Registered
764 Posts
I use it, though I'd rather have plywood, if they were the same price, but since I'm a cheapskate I use osb, I don't have problems with the edges swelling because I nail 1x2s to the edges and then put two coats of paint on all outside surfaces.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
It will kill your bees. I've been using tops and bottom boards made out of it for 5 years and I expect my bees to start dying any time now.

;)

It's not my first choice but it will certainly work.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
I had them for 2 years already and they are still holding. Before painting them put 2 or 3 coats of water
repellent oil. They will last longer this way. I use screws instead of nails to hold everything together. No
rust with the screws in case of contact with the rains.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
I made about 30 tops and bottoms out of AdvanTec last season. Some I painted, some were left bare, and a couple I put AL sheeting on the top. As expected the bare top weathered the worse, but still not too bad, followed by the painted, with the best being the ones with the AL. Its really nice stuff since it is rock stable - no warping at all, unlike plywood. It is heavy, but I see that as a bonus since its less likely to blow off. No ill effects to the bees.

·
Registered
33 Posts
astro, that's about as expensive (and heavy) as it gets, i hope you got a deal. i sell building materials, advantech is designed to stand up to exposure for a while but regular osb is not.
if it's toxic most americans are in trouble because most houses, apartments and structures in general are sheathed with it. it wouldn't be my first choice because it's going to break down from handling eventually but i wouldn't worry about the glue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the responses. My Queen Bee here will be happy since shes been on me for the better part of a year to get rid of all it

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
that's about as expensive (and heavy) as it gets
Yeah, its not cheap. There were several threads on here about AdvanTec and I thought I would give it a whirl. Certainly not waterproof, but the manufacturer never claims that it is. First season it held up pretty well, but not as well as some have suggested. If I did it again, I'd make sure everything was at least painted.

·
Registered
313 Posts
With all the discussion about possible water damage to OSB I decided to conduct an experiment, since I have a lot of pieces left over from a building project.

The OSB I have is labelled Norboard 2014B. It is 7/16 with an exposure rating of 1. It is used for exterior siding on buildings, and is HUD approved.

I placed a piece of the OSB in water for 24 hours, with a broken, torn edge entirely underwater. After that period of time I measured the wetted section and compared it to a dry section. They both measured 7/16. The wetted section did not show any obvious result of the immersion (other than being wet, of course). I think it can safely be used for anything one would build from plywood.

Based upon this information and comments on this thread I am going to save what I can and use it for Nucs and Traps and possibly a few hive bodies. They will be painted on the exterior with primer and latex topcoat.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Think OSB is fine to use. I'd use the aluminum cover and include a lip down the sides that covers the cut edge.

P1010225.jpg

Pic is an aluminum cover for a NUC with 1/2 spruce plywood telescopic cover. Used 1 inch folded side to cover 1/2 cut edge.

OSB only degrades rapidly when it gets soaked with water. So make unsure flat top and all cut edges are covered by aluminum.

It also last a long time painted as walls and will work this way for NUCs. I have a shed that was sheated with OSB that was supposed to eventually get sided. It was stained/painted a couple of times now, but never got sided and has lasted 30 years and is still quite functional.

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
I used Osb for a second story deck and painted both side. I think that was the downfall. After two years it rotted to the point that a friend fell through in the winter time. It has since been replaced with Trex. I do think it is perfectly acceptable for a bee hive cover especial if it is going to be covered. Painting both sides sealed the moisture in and broke down the adhesive that holds the flakes together.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
I would never BUY OSB for building hives because it doesn't last well enough. I have used a lot of free scraps. It needs to be painted to seal it better. It doesn't last really well. It's a better material for inner covers than covers, but it works. I've even used particle board. It's even worse, but free is hard to beat...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts