Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if I have a situation here, and if so, what guidance can you all offer me?

We have had insects something awful in the house this year. Hubby got the Ortho Max perimeter spray, did the inside of the house and under the house. He stayed away from the hives, obviously, but when I got home after a three day business trip, I checked on the hives and noticed at least 100-200 dead bees under the entrance of one particular hive. I also noticed bees throwing out a worker bee from another hive, and piling it with the others. It might just be how the hives are situated that all the dead bees ended up where they are, so I'm worried that it's affected all three of my backyard hives.

Suggestions, anyone? I'd love the palmetto bugs to be gone, but I certainly don't wish to endanger my bees!

Active ingredient in this stuff is Bifenthrin.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I would say it unlikely related. Unless he actually sprayed the hives or flowers the bees were working it should not have hurt the bees. When the bees haul out a bunch of dead bees it can be because of some kind of brood problem. Possible DWV or something. Have you done a mite count?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Where is the bees water source? I see quite a few bees at AC condensation drainlines near the foundations of homes. Just a thought.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The timing is just sooo suspect. No mite count yet, I knew I wouldn't have time for a few days. Everything looks fine other than seeing that one incidence of a bee being tossed, but I am going to rearrange my schedule so that I can get in all the hives on Friday. I will try to get boards in tomorrow.

The condensation lines could definitely be a factor, as they are right up against the wall and I assume that he sprayed that area, as it is not really in the bees' path but we get ants over there something fierce. It is possible that some overspray went into something that they were foraging on.

Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
The condensation lines could definitely be a factor, as they are right up against the wall and I assume that he sprayed that area, as it is not really in the bees' path but we get ants over there something fierce. It is possible that some overspray went into something that they were foraging on.
They could be drinking the condensation for water and took some back to the hive. Keep an eye on it. I would have waited until fall when they stop foraging.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Totally aside from the bees, you likely have wood or something in contact with the ground, or something sheltering part of the house. A "normal" house shouldn't have an insect invasion and using a chemical to constantly combat it will not fix the underlying problem.

If husband wound up spraying plants in flower with this product it could kill bees.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Totally aside from the bees, you likely have wood or something in contact with the ground, or something sheltering part of the house. A "normal" house shouldn't have an insect invasion and using a chemical to constantly combat it will not fix the underlying problem.
Maybe that's great advice for the north east no so much for here in Florida.

I use Demon WP mixed to direction sprayed around base of house and sofits once a month right at dark. Spray around doors and windows. I spray a six foot perimeter on all walk ways, floratam and stone with permithrin mixed to direction. I spot treat any ants mounts close to house.
These chemicals are to toxic to bees but my hives seem to be thriving no issues.
I'm not a professional,just sharing what works for me. I can't have my kids getting stung by scorpions.
If my wife sees a bug in the house = unhappy! Happy wife= happy life!

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'm wondering if I have a situation here, and if so, what guidance can you all offer me?

I checked on the hives and noticed at least 100-200 dead bees under the entrance of one particular hive. I also noticed bees throwing out a worker bee from another hive, and piling it with the others.
Just a thought, but could the dead bees be casualties of a robbing incident?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, Florida is definitely a difference place... I don't mind an ant or two, but when I feel like I am housing all the palmetto bugs in the area, yeah, they gotta go. Thanks Mbeck for pointing that out, and for sharing your method of keeping the unwanted insects out. They are so pervasive here, we never had bugs in Colorado. It sure took some getting used to.

Tax, my house is almost a hundred years old, which is very old for my area. Normal doesn't describe it in any way! :)

I'm not going to be able to get boards in today, but I will definitely be popping the boxes open tomorrow, probably in the morning.

I haven't seen any more evidence pointing towards anything, though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts