Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was watching my hives today and saw what looked like orientation flights. Are these young bees or bee's just getting there bearings after a long winter?

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Probably some of both, since you've no doubt had brood for nearly two months. But this is surely not your first orientation flight day. Mine over here in northern Rensselaer County have been out flying on any day over the high 30's for weeks. A day like today or some of the recent extra warm days, has them prospecting out of the apiary for nectar. No sign of mine bringing in anything, yet, certainly no pollen visible, though I expect down the river valley they might be finding some already. I am a couple of weeks behind that area. I cleaned out the bottom boards today - a very satisfactory number of dead small hive beetles were among the detritus. I scattered them for the chickadees to find. As soon as I can get in there, I will be deploying SHB oil traps. Extirpating them is my #1 beekeeping goal for 2019. They were awful last summer, even in my strong hives. Drove my bees nuts!

Nancy

·
Registered
106 Posts
Speaking of SHB I had my surviving hie also have quite a few SHB on the sticky board below my screened bottom board. Do you place your oil trap on every level of boxes or just the top box.I also want to stay ahead of this as well. Doing a OAV treatment first week in April if temps 50 or above. The hive is really ramping up. I have noticed lots of activity from a rapidly expanding population. some bees fly out small loops what I always deemed orientation flights and then others make a beeline out of the hive. Just getting paranoid they are getting ready to start looking for a new home .

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
@ny12569:

No drones, yet, so the bees are unlikely to be swarming. But early anti-swarm measures are what I rely on.

I may wind up placing the SHB oil traps on each level, though I'm going to try only on the top box, for starters.

Nancy

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@ny12569:

No drones, yet, so the bees are unlikely to be swarming. But early anti-swarm measures are what I rely on.

I may wind up placing the SHB oil traps on each level, though I'm going to try only on the top box, for starters.

Nancy
Nancy always great to hear from you hope all is well. What method do you use for swarm prevention? Hopefully this year i will get to try it if my hives survive the winter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts