Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier in the year before it got hot my bees had orientation flights around 2:30 to 3:30. Now they just came out at 6:45. Are they temperature sensitive for their orientation flights? It does not seem like it is light sensitive, since the day length is about the same.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Just wondering the same thing this week. Most flights I would see in the pm. Sunday I saw flights at two yards in the am. At least I think they were orientation flights. No fighting on the porch. Did have a weather change for a couple days. You may be right about temps.

·
Registered
156 Posts
One of my nucs does this. They are so crazy busy circling in and out n the evenings that it kind of freaked me out the first time I saw it:eek: Looked like robbing, but when I checked it, there just seems to be a lot of bees. It's been cooler in the evenings here...maybe that's why? It's just the one nuc too. The huge hives do nothing but beard.

·
Registered
902 Posts
It's a fascinating thing to see. I've got to see a lot of it lately, as I've got two hives that regularly fly between 5 and 6 pm. I'm a newbee, and the first time I saw this I thought I had a swarm starting. It's really a beautiful thing to watch and listen to.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts