Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going out to check on the hives and saw lots of bees flying in what I thought was the start of a swarm. Sat back and watched for a few minutes to think what I am going to do next and formulate a plan to catch my swarm. Then, it started to subside and I see lots of bees coming in and tons hovering close to the entrance facing the hive. It took about 10 minutes total and now it's calming down and looking closer to normal with slightly above average activity and slightly more bees sitting on landing platform and walking on the hive face.

Did I just witness my first orientation flight? I've never seen one so I don't know. Or, is it a sign of a swarm to come. It's 5:30pm here in CA. Do hives swarm this late in the day?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, that's what it looked like. I have a large apricot tree and a fig tree on one side and a fence on the other side lining the flight path so they were not all over the yard. It was very cool to watch.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It sure is something. I guess the queen is doing quite well if I had such high numbers. There were a lot of bees.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
I like your yellow hives. I've just been using left over white and tan. You should paint your BBs and covers black to give them a complete cartoon honey bee motif.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts