Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am posting this for future reference so someone like me may find it in the future and not worry as much. I am not justifying what I did but want to just post my experience for future reference. This is of course in regards to using organic sugar over refined sugar for my 1:1 sugar water mix that I fed to my very new bees. I read many many forums, articles, advice on how NOT to feed them organic or turbinado sugar. At this point, day 9 of an installed package, the bees are fine and the queen is fine. Here is the list of events:

Day 1 (Saturday) - pickup and install package. Fill the top frame feeder with 1:1 ratio of organic sugar (Trader Joe's and Sugar in the Raw) to make sugar water. It starts to rain late in the day.
Day 2 (Sunday) - Very rainy day, flooding in NC, cold 50 degrees F, expected to rain until Tuesday. I start reading all the horror stories and religion debate over organic sugar and how it is bad for bees.
Day 3 (Monday) - debate switching water, but do not want to disturb the bees. I do take a peek into top frame feeder and see that they are feeding on the sugar water. Temperature still 50F.
Day 4 (Tuesday) - still raining, 50F. no activity outside of the hive due to rain and cold.
Day 5-7 - Sunny 70-80F, a lot of flying going on. I can see bees flying out and bringing pollen back into hive. I refilled the top frame feeder with refined sugar water. They have consumed most of the original amount. (about a gallon)
Day 8 (Sunday) - inspect the hive. Queen has been release and identified. Comb being built out.

They spent almost four days only feeding on the organic sugar water. Again, just wanted to put this out there for posterity. They are hopefully happy with my change to their feed.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
It's an issue if they can't go on cleansing flights for extended periods of time mainly. It's not that it's bad for them, it's that it has more solids in it which makes it harder for them to digest and they have to get rid of waste more frequently.

·
Registered
280 Posts
All you are doing with the organic sugar is spending more money on sugar than you need to just like any other food. Your wallet though.

·
Banned
689 Posts
It's an issue if they can't go on cleansing flights for extended periods of time mainly. It's not that it's bad for them, it's that it has more solids in it which makes it harder for them to digest and they have to get rid of waste more frequently.
What you say may or may not be true. When you buy organic sugar you have no idea what kind of stuff you are buying other than it probably is safe for humans in normal amounts. Part of the brown may indicate the presence of hydroxmethyl furan. If it does you can still kill your bees even if they are flying every day. Paying a lot of money for an impure product that contains unknown substances simply is not bright. That is particularly true if it is labeled organic. Just ask yourself "is nectar brown in general" and of course the answer is no. Then ask yourself "why should I feed something artificial that is made by cooking the ..... out of sugar and causing the sugar to break down to chemicals that bees would never get from flowers?"

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
I agree with you Richard. When I look at things that are refined, such as sugar, I don't see the point in paying more for 'organic'. Sucrose is sucrose at that point, there's no reason to pay more or give them a less refined product.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts