Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question to ask everyone,

Can someone claim to have organic beeswax? To me organic means no chemical treatments used in or around your farm. If we can't control where our bees roam and bees will roam up to 5miles we really can assume that they are not being introduced to chemicals. I have heard the term organically produced, but to call honey and beeswax organic is nearly impossible. The reason I ask is there was a fellow at a farmers market that was selling body care products and claimed that his products were 100% organic but had beeswax listed. There was a couple other misnomers with his products and kind of wanted to call him out on it. (I think he was purposefully misleading customers, nothing against guy trying to make a buck).

·
Registered
390 Posts
I've looked into the requirements to market your honey and wax as organic and found it nearly impossible to comply with all items on the checklist. I am doubtful this person at the farmers market is fully compliant. Many people market their products as organic to justify raising the price.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
From what I understand it is difficult to claim true organic unless on an controlled island or perhaps some if in trully isolated regions. I am not up to speed with regulations, perhaps the another method is to have honey/wax tested for residuals. I understand some buyers in Japan do this. I would market as treatment free hives bc "organic forage" is just to ambiguous and difficult to prove. I tell folks I do not treat my hives at any time of the year nor do I feed syrup in the spring or during honey flow. I will feed just syrup without HBH in the fall to get some hives up to final wintering weight.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I am positive that there is no such thing as organic honey in the US. I would imagine that since wax is derived from nectar/honey that there is likewise no definition for wax, either.

http://www.reginfo.gov/public/do/eAgendaViewRule?pubId=201404&RIN=0581-AD31#

The link goes to an announcement from the USDA in which the intent to create a rule for the definition of organic honey is stated. In other words, there is no such thing as organic honey in the US because there is no rule, or definition. I could be wrong about the beeswax, but common sense has me thinking that what goes for honey goes for wax. Of course, we are dealing with bureaucracy here, so maybe common sense has little to do with the topic.

Interestingly, the current rule allows for organic certification based on standards used for livestock.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys,
That was pretty much what I figured and I am glad I am not too off base with my claims. Kind of makes me want to call the guy out. Like I said I think much of what he was telling customers was just to sell his product, by using a lot of BUZZ words. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts