Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello! I'm an aspiring queen breeder / producer that's been keeping bees for about 7 years now, starting in 2014.

For the past several years I've been hovering at the 20 hive limit that allows me a farm direct sales exemption from licensing in Oregon, which includes being able to sell jars of honey to the local food coops. I'm using Organic / OMRI listed mite control options, and am focused on high quality raw honey at the moment. My customer base is both residents and visitors of our beach towns.

I'm keen to getting into selling nucs in the spring, packages and queens. I'm very interested in some small scale selection for bee genetics for mite resistance and adaption to our mild, wet, coastal climate. I currently have three apiary locations in about a 10 square mile radius. At my home apiary location I also have a small farm growing fruit, veggies, flowers, and I'm getting into seed production with some of those crops. Lots of dreams and aspirations in the making.

I've found these forums really useful for a while now and I'm looking to scale up so I've got more questions than ever so I finally registered, and am introducing myself on the welcome forum to get the ball rolling.

So no specific questions in this post, but looking forward to connecting with folks.
Thanks all!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks for the Introductory post! As a fellow PNWer I love the idea of more breeders nearby focusing on local genetics and mite resistance. I have gotten queens from a number of locals, that Iove. Olympic Wilderness Apiary, Lauri Miller, and I just got some Caucasians from Old Sol. Lauri sure has some great bees, and I know Olympic Wilderness has some highly sought after breeder queens. They are all sold out of queens this year or I would be getting some for my July splits if I could. I'm sure you have heard about those breeders but if not, check them out!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I don't know the details or have as much experience with Old Sol, but both Olympic Wilderness Apiary and "Lauri Miller 's compound and bees" specialize in Local Ferals mixed with mite resistant stock. Olympic Wilderness with ferals from the Olympic peninsula mixed with Russians. Lauri Millers are Ferals from near Mt Rainier and POL line and VSH stock. I can vouch for both of them as producers of great hardy bees.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts