Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to draft a beekeeping ordinance for our village (I'm on their environmental committee). Can someone direct me to an existing ordinance that I can use for a template?

TIA,

Ken

·
Registered
152 Posts
"Bees are good. All opposed, quit your *****ing; And feel free to eat only food not produced through some form of pollination."

·
Registered
575 Posts
I don't have the exact wording of the complete ordinance in front of me at this time but below are the setbacks and rules for bees and chickens. Jacobs, a then member and now the Pres of the bee club wrote and presented the ordinance and the City Council adopted it. This was just a few paragraphs in the overall ordinance.

The Greensboro City Council's newly adopted poultry and bee ordinance:
* prohibits adult roosters
* requires chickens to be penned
* requires poultry to be kept in backyards
* establishes a 25-foot setback requirement for lots between 7,000 and 12,000 square feet and odd-shaped lots that cannot meet a 50-foot setback, as long as chickens are housed 50 feet from a neighboring residence
* limits residences that use the 25-foot setback to one hen per 3,000 square feet and one bee colony per 2,000 square feet
* bans poultry or bee keeping on lots smaller than 7,000 square feet

·
Banned
840 Posts
most address space considerations, ie must have x amount of space from property lines, distance from neighbors buildings, number of hives allowed on property within space parameters.

please give the benefit of the doubt to the beekeeper in how much space consideration. many towns try to make it look like their town allows beekeeping but then makes it so hard to meet space reqs' that it really is just a sham.

Big Bear

·
Registered
494 Posts
Seattle's isn't too bad except for some odd uses of the word swarm and a requirement to requeen after a swarm (isn't this what swarming does?).

The basics are: 25' from the property line OR a 6' high fence (so they fly up and over).

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
My city has the 25' rule as well

If you do a google search, their ordinance is online. Concord, CA

·
Registered
706 Posts
Here is my sugestion don't wirte one. Less goverment involment the better! Just leave it alone and move on. Don't write laws or ordiances just to justify your pay check. I understand the need for goverment to provide me with clean water roads and law enforcment. I see no need for a bee ordinance.

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
Hey Ken,
PM me with your address and I'll email you the text of Aurora, CO's ordinance. It's balanced and considered a good starting point, even a "model" beekeeping ordinance.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I am going to draft a beekeeping ordinance for our village (I'm on their environmental committee). Can someone direct me to an existing ordinance that I can use for a template?

TIA,

Ken
Sent you a pm... I have several ordinances and supporting research from our successful case to down zone here in Prince William County, VA.

·
Premium Member
12,001 Posts
If anyone has a copy of an ordinance, I would like to get copies myself so I can make them available on the website under Laws Relating to Bees and Beekeeping.

[email protected]

·
Registered
850 Posts
barry

i sent you am email with two from virginia. prince william and fairfax counties have ordinances very similar to those from Roanoke.

·
Registered
706 Posts
My question is this why do you want or need a ordinance? whats the need? I would really like to understand this point.

·
Registered
760 Posts
sounds like someone is a pencil pusher and has not a clue of what they are doing ....... with out bees - there life is short lived

also .... to have an Ordinance to keep someone from having 30 cows in the backyard of a city lot ..... I can understand that

but to try and stop someone from keeping a hive of bees is STUPID
and here is why .... lets say that you make an ordinance for your little city and i live right on the other side of the city line ??? do my bees "know" not to fly in the "no fly zone" and if they do are you going to write citations for all of them and give them all court days - seems like a lot of paper work but thats ok seems thats all you do as it is

but back to comon sence
seems its really a bad idea - bees are can not be contained into fences

also drugs are illegal and yet every city has a drug problem ...... no matter how much money they put to stop it ..... see my point

not trying to point sides just want you to see the other side -

also one thing should be brought up and that is the reasoning for such an ordinance to be brought up in the first place???
is it because of stings .... I'd sure hope not .... because if you goggle bee stings .... more people are stung by hornets, paper wasps, bumble bees, and fire ants .... then honeybees ..... so while you are writing ordinances lets not for get to write them on these as well!!!! fair is fair .....

·
Registered
147 Posts
sounds like someone is a pencil pusher and has not a clue of what they are doing ....... with out bees - there life is short lived

- seems like a lot of paper work but thats ok seems thats all you do as it is

also one thing should be brought up and that is the reasoning for such an ordinance to be brought up in the first place???
is it because of stings .... I'd sure hope not .... because if you goggle bee stings .... more people are stung by hornets, paper wasps, bumble bees, and fire ants .... then honeybees ..... so while you are writing ordinances lets not for get to write them on these as well!!!! fair is fair .....
It doesn't sound to me like you're being very fair. This person has a job to do, if it involves making a city ordinance for beekeeping then that is the job the person has been assigned to do.

Don't forget, this person did come to a beekeeping community seeking help from the type of people the ordinance would effect the most.

·
Registered
760 Posts
i understand that they have a job to do but they also should think before they write law . and to see if it makes cents ???
i understand the reason but look at how many people keep bee hives in seattle on rooftops - just goes to show that if someone wants to do it they are going to do it weather there is a law or not .... right?
so to have someone waste time and money writing a law -that is not really helping any one is rather odd

id just like to see a REASON for such a writing

if its so that one person doesnt have too many hives? if that was the case - he would find out on his on my losing honey production do to over hived area
so the problem solves its self

·
Registered
147 Posts
Trust me, I'd prefer not to have laws like this too, but sadly that's not how society works.

On the bright side, a formal set of well thought out rules could also help to protect those who want to keep bees but have neighbors that don't like it.

For example: "The law says I can keep bees as long as I follow these rules - so nasty neighbor, you can just leave me alone." ;)

·
Registered
760 Posts
very true but seems just a silly law to worry much about

im mean thats like me having to paint my house bright blue .....just to make one neighbor happy and so they could sleep at night

i know that in a prefect world both sides would be right

1 - 20 of 53 Posts