Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
bees
5 Posts
Loved your story! I actually got suckered ;) into honey bees originally because I have a healthy orchard and once upon a time had really crappy pollination =/ I've since put a few solitary bee condo/houses around and never have an issue anymore. I still keep honey bees cause they are cool =)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I just wait till the afternoon. They are usually asleep at that time and I walk up slowly with a towel or tarp covering my feet and legs. They don't have good vision and they won't look up. Just set the towel over the cage then pick it all up and tuck it under. Theybwont spray something they can't see. Then put them in the truck and go for a ride. It's really not that difficult to do

·
Registered
485 Posts
I dont think you make a good "groopie" Greg :rolleyes: It is not my learning style either. Went to one group bee session and more time was spent talking about cats, house plants and goats than bees.
This has been our experience as well.

Driving an hour and a half one way to gather with 20-30 folks who seem more concerned about the viddles provided at the end of the meeting and seem more interested in anything but proactive, practical beekeeping.

We went a couple times several years ago and felt it was a waste of our time. We then tried to form our own club, took out adds in the local paper, talked on the radio, etc...but with only 2 beekeepers showing any interest (they've since moved on), that was also a waste of our time....and we are not interested in becoming a 'distributer' of someone else's stuff, so here we are...:) at this place, which serves nicely as a club.....thanks to all of you good folks willing to assist another in this wonderful adventure of keeping honeybees.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!!!

·
Registered
485 Posts
It's kind of early to order bees The local guy I talked to said order now as his list is filling up fast. Also when depends on where you are.

2 hives to compare and shared resources etc is exactly what I have been thinking as to why I would.
Never too early to order....its a lot better than too late.

Look up info related to "Two and a half" colonies, you won't be sorry for having more than one.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts