Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Just to reiterate, as I'm not sure it landed: the equipment you have may be enough for a first hive, first year. If you get a nuc reasonably early in the spring I think the bees will outgrow your 3 boxes. And as mentioned above it is advisable to have some more equipment on hand (nuc boxes, full size, tops and bottoms) for swarm prevention or retrieval. When you go out and see a swarm hanging on your bush you won't have time to go buy a box or material to make one.... Enjoy!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I know that. Depending on how it goes, I might get to two or three hives. I don't want to make a job of this and I don't have that big of a place compared to others. I get that the bees travel way beyond my fences My idea of getting the one hive is to see how they are built then make all I want. I can get frames locally really easy. Or I might just order another complete setup like I have.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Charliez;
It's kind of early to order bees and most likely, the people you were talking with are in a rush to close up their operations/hives for winter. (See my recent post in Today in the Apiary) I have a 32 hives and have a pretty good relationship with my bee supplier along with other beekeepers in my area. I was at his place last week picking up some Oxidic Acid and when I brought up the subject of Spring Nuc's, he said don't even bring up the subject now-he's that busy! Most of us are cleaning up, extracting the last few hives and storing away equipment for the Spring. As they say with horses, it's not good to "ride them hard and put them away wet." I know when I got my first two nuc's I was getting anxious as the snow here was melting and wasn't smart/experienced enough to know it was way too early. One of the best things my bees taught me was patience.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I know that. Depending on how it goes, I might get to two or three hives. I don't want to make a job of this and I don't have that big of a place compared to others. I get that the bees travel way beyond my fences My idea of getting the one hive is to see how they are built then make all I want. I can get frames locally really easy. Or I might just order another complete setup like I have.
I think the general consensus in beekeeping is to start with 2 hives. I did that myself, it's not that big a deal and not any more work than 1. The advantageous is that you can compare the 2 for growth and health as you learn beekeeping and it add a layer of safety for resources should one hive get weak. And get nuc's, better chance with success.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
It's kind of early to order bees The local guy I talked to said order now as his list is filling up fast. Also when depends on where you are.

2 hives to compare and shared resources etc is exactly what I have been thinking as to why I would.

·
Registered
789 Posts
And you can never have enough wooden ware..a lot of dealers are running sales now rather than carry dead inventory over the winter-Black Friday at Mann Lake. I would suggest with double deeps, you have 3 supers for each hive. Figure that when you fill the lower super, put the second super on to get started and once the bees are filling the second one, pull the first and harvest it while place the third one on so you cycle them out. I did the five or six super stacks and believe me, you're looking at back breaking work harvesting all of that at once.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I have two deeps and a medium now. I can alway build what I want except for frames, any time. I probbaly have the materials and maybe I will. I wouldn't build frames. You can get them in two days on Amazon.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Dont' mis understand me. I'm not trying to beat up on the local club. I've learned a lot form them from the several meetings I've been to and the school they put on. Maybe there's just a communications shortfall.

·
Registered
53 Posts
It's kind of early to order bees The local guy I talked to said order now as his list is filling up fast. Also when depends on where you are.

2 hives to compare and shared resources etc is exactly what I have been thinking as to why I would.
I agree, In my area nuc poducers sell out fast so I had to get on a list in November for delivery in April. Didn't have to pay for them until I collected them. You know what they say - never put off today what you can screw up tomorrow:)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Well I went ahead and ordere from the guy in the club I talked to this week. I just decided he's local and he has been giving good advice and helping out others so it was a good choice/ I might order another nuc from someone else if I decide to go ahead with two hives. Just to have something different for comparison.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I got my first bees this last spring, like you I started getting ready in the previous fall. I ordered from Mann Lake and when they came there were like a dozen dead bees. My cousin ordered a package in the early summer from a small online company, they came 8 days late, with most of them dead. Somehow they survived and are doing fine. Still, I wouldn't order from sketchy small websites.

My package took off and did amazing so I had to split it stop it from swarming. I split it twice, but once they weren't doing too well so I combined the two splits.

I would definitely get two hives. If ones strong and the other is weak, you can trade a few frames of brood, etc..

I you get one and it goes queenless you can help them by giving them brood from the other one to keep them strong.

Your also going to be wanting to get in the hive everyday at first which isn't good for them, and if you have two you can check twice as much.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Also if you have one and it dies over winter, you're starting from scratch, but if you have two, odds are at least ones going to make it if you do everything properly, and you can replace the other one with a split in the spring/summer.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I'll be disciplined enough to not over open them. I will probably install a Wyze camera at the entrance so I can watch the activity anywhere, any time. They don't support ftp so I can't make it into a webcam. Then again I'm getting fiber internet next weeks so I just might do a hive cam with a different camera. I have my location picked out. It's close to some trees but it's also where I don't have to mow as often. I'll be doing the salt/viniger solution in a good radius all around them. I might go ahead and cover the area in plastic to kill / drastically cut back what grass is there.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Oh, do you have bears where you're at? They might be a problem, and depending on if you want to risk it for put up an electric fence, it may change where you want to put the hive(s).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
No. My whole place is fenced so just skunks raccoons and possums. I just trap them and take them down the road a good ways. Yes skunks too. I aint scared. They ride in the back seat of the hooptie. For real

·
Registered
6 Posts
I can not believe what I am reading!

So much like Cornwall drums to a different beat than the rest of the country of England

Bears, skunks an racoons ~???... you need to try badger ham !

But returning to reality... get you bee order in for nice loca lbees.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts