Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still slowly getting setup. My hive box is painted and finished, sitting in the living room, waiting. When someone comes over and asks about it, I say I brought them in due to weather last week, and I'll open the lid and ask if they want to see. So far everyone has fallen for it and skeedattled out the door. I'm also slowly building up my supplies. I got some beetle traps last night at the club meeting. I still might do two hives.

But last night I talked to a guy in the club that has a big operation and sells bees. I wanted to get them locally to support other local folks plus he seems pretty willing to offer help and advice. He said he will start shipping around the first of April.

So, one step closer each day.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I actully can just use one bottom box to start with, which is what I would do anyway. Then just make another top and bottom and have two hives. I probably have the materials to do this. I just might if I decide to order two nucs.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've always been interested in bees. I've always had a garden of some sort except for a few years. Where I'm at now, a neighbor had bees. One time they weren't there and I could see a noticeable impact of them not being there on my garden. I got the chance to ask him about them and he said he loaned them out to a farmer somewhere for that time. He's since moved, to jail. He had several portable buildings and said he was raising exotic animals for a research firm. he and the buildings and the bees went away when the game wardens raided his place. Apparently he was the Joe Exotic of whatever other small animals he wasn't supposed to be dealing in.

There was also a time many years ago, I was mowing and when I went by the water meter there were bees coming out. Back then I refereed to yellow jackets as bees. That's what I thought they were. To stop them from going crazy I laid a piece of carpet over the lid. The next day I got home and sprayed wasp spray down in the hole and let them sit for another day. The third day I opened the lid and saw they were honey bees with the brightest cleanest looking honey I have ever seen. It as like sunshine in there. Then came instant regret for not recognizing what they were and doing what I did. Ever since then I've wanted to reestablish a hive and sorta make up for what I did to them.

No, I'm not part of A&M. Does she have anything to do with bees?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm actully kinda disapointed with the local club so far. The first guy I met that was kinda runnung the show and talked to me a little bit, said he sold bees. So I looked up his little businsees and contacted him about getting bees and he never responded. The guy I talked with this week that also does fuill time bees said hes taking orders now and to contact him through his website. I told him I would first thing yesterday, and there's been no response. I was really hoping too that I could meet up with someone that already had bees and tag along when they open up a hive or have somethng they need to do with thier bees to get the experience. I'd be willing to work and tote things or wherever they needed a hand with but there doesn't seem to be anyone interested in that. The club website also says they have a mentor program where new members can be asigned a mentor in the club and they work together but I haven't seen any indication of anyone doing that. I have a friend who I learned has bees. He caught them in a swarm years ago and just dumped them in a hive he picked up at a tractor supply store. He's never opened the lid or touched them since that day but he says they are still coming and going every day. He was ok with the idea of looking in on them but he has a busy family with lots of constant drama at home.

I might just have to order bees form a larger supplier online

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think the main guy that started it is more into the youth side of things. I haven't seen anyone trying to sell products. The ones that did tell me they sold bees was because I asked. They did put on a bee school this summer and it was huge and pretty good. I thnk maybe thier intentions are god and what they do is good, but I'm just not part of the in crowd. I don't really know any of them.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I thinkI'm going to start looking elsewhere to order. Everyone I talk to says I should order NOW or I won't be getting any in the spring.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Both he guys are local and they make their own spilts. There is a local storefront vendor that has them and another source I would consider isn't that far away so I would pick them up myself for each of the 4 options.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I know that. Depending on how it goes, I might get to two or three hives. I don't want to make a job of this and I don't have that big of a place compared to others. I get that the bees travel way beyond my fences My idea of getting the one hive is to see how they are built then make all I want. I can get frames locally really easy. Or I might just order another complete setup like I have.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
It's kind of early to order bees The local guy I talked to said order now as his list is filling up fast. Also when depends on where you are.

2 hives to compare and shared resources etc is exactly what I have been thinking as to why I would.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I have two deeps and a medium now. I can alway build what I want except for frames, any time. I probbaly have the materials and maybe I will. I wouldn't build frames. You can get them in two days on Amazon.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Dont' mis understand me. I'm not trying to beat up on the local club. I've learned a lot form them from the several meetings I've been to and the school they put on. Maybe there's just a communications shortfall.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Well I went ahead and ordere from the guy in the club I talked to this week. I just decided he's local and he has been giving good advice and helping out others so it was a good choice/ I might order another nuc from someone else if I decide to go ahead with two hives. Just to have something different for comparison.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I'll be disciplined enough to not over open them. I will probably install a Wyze camera at the entrance so I can watch the activity anywhere, any time. They don't support ftp so I can't make it into a webcam. Then again I'm getting fiber internet next weeks so I just might do a hive cam with a different camera. I have my location picked out. It's close to some trees but it's also where I don't have to mow as often. I'll be doing the salt/viniger solution in a good radius all around them. I might go ahead and cover the area in plastic to kill / drastically cut back what grass is there.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
No. My whole place is fenced so just skunks raccoons and possums. I just trap them and take them down the road a good ways. Yes skunks too. I aint scared. They ride in the back seat of the hooptie. For real

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I can not believe what I am reading!

Come along with me on the next trip to let the skunk out of the trap. I'll let you snip the zip ties.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I just wait till the afternoon. They are usually asleep at that time and I walk up slowly with a towel or tarp covering my feet and legs. They don't have good vision and they won't look up. Just set the towel over the cage then pick it all up and tuck it under. Theybwont spray something they can't see. Then put them in the truck and go for a ride. It's really not that difficult to do

1 - 19 of 19 Posts