Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still slowly getting setup. My hive box is painted and finished, sitting in the living room, waiting. When someone comes over and asks about it, I say I brought them in due to weather last week, and I'll open the lid and ask if they want to see. So far everyone has fallen for it and skeedattled out the door. I'm also slowly building up my supplies. I got some beetle traps last night at the club meeting. I still might do two hives.

But last night I talked to a guy in the club that has a big operation and sells bees. I wanted to get them locally to support other local folks plus he seems pretty willing to offer help and advice. He said he will start shipping around the first of April.

So, one step closer each day.

·
Registered
7,948 Posts
My hive box is painted and finished, sitting in the living room, waiting..
I still might do two hives.
This should be "my hive boxes".
Hopefully, you realize you can not keep bees in a single box.
Most certainly you can not just run a single hive either.
Have fun - there is still time to make adjustments before your live bees show up.

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
Yes, It sure is nice to have extra boxes to sort frames into when doing the almost guaranteed swarm prevention. A big aid also in finding queens to be able to spread frames out into spare boxes without risking losing a queen into the grass.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I actully can just use one bottom box to start with, which is what I would do anyway. Then just make another top and bottom and have two hives. I probably have the materials to do this. I just might if I decide to order two nucs.

·
Registered
bees
5 Posts
Congrats! What made you want to keep bees?

I'm actually a returning beekeeper myself so trying frantically to catch up. Had a few hives about ten years ago and had to give them up to go back to school. So, I'm excited to get reengaged. Started with three hives last year... expanding to six this year.

Sub

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've always been interested in bees. I've always had a garden of some sort except for a few years. Where I'm at now, a neighbor had bees. One time they weren't there and I could see a noticeable impact of them not being there on my garden. I got the chance to ask him about them and he said he loaned them out to a farmer somewhere for that time. He's since moved, to jail. He had several portable buildings and said he was raising exotic animals for a research firm. he and the buildings and the bees went away when the game wardens raided his place. Apparently he was the Joe Exotic of whatever other small animals he wasn't supposed to be dealing in.

There was also a time many years ago, I was mowing and when I went by the water meter there were bees coming out. Back then I refereed to yellow jackets as bees. That's what I thought they were. To stop them from going crazy I laid a piece of carpet over the lid. The next day I got home and sprayed wasp spray down in the hole and let them sit for another day. The third day I opened the lid and saw they were honey bees with the brightest cleanest looking honey I have ever seen. It as like sunshine in there. Then came instant regret for not recognizing what they were and doing what I did. Ever since then I've wanted to reestablish a hive and sorta make up for what I did to them.

No, I'm not part of A&M. Does she have anything to do with bees?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm actully kinda disapointed with the local club so far. The first guy I met that was kinda runnung the show and talked to me a little bit, said he sold bees. So I looked up his little businsees and contacted him about getting bees and he never responded. The guy I talked with this week that also does fuill time bees said hes taking orders now and to contact him through his website. I told him I would first thing yesterday, and there's been no response. I was really hoping too that I could meet up with someone that already had bees and tag along when they open up a hive or have somethng they need to do with thier bees to get the experience. I'd be willing to work and tote things or wherever they needed a hand with but there doesn't seem to be anyone interested in that. The club website also says they have a mentor program where new members can be asigned a mentor in the club and they work together but I haven't seen any indication of anyone doing that. I have a friend who I learned has bees. He caught them in a swarm years ago and just dumped them in a hive he picked up at a tractor supply store. He's never opened the lid or touched them since that day but he says they are still coming and going every day. He was ok with the idea of looking in on them but he has a busy family with lots of constant drama at home.

I might just have to order bees form a larger supplier online

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
Another useless club.
Too many.
They are commonly created to sell the stuff to the newbies and that is where it stands.
I dont think you make a good "groopie" Greg :rolleyes: It is not my learning style either. Went to one group bee session and more time was spent talking about cats, house plants and goats than bees.

·
Registered
7,948 Posts
I dont think you make a good "groopie" Greg :rolleyes: It is not my learning style either. Went to one group bee session and more time was spent talking about cats, house plants and goats than bees.
Not a "groopie", but rather a chronic dissident.

I get very annoyed with the club "organizers" selling stuff.
Those expensive "brood-minder" toys come to mind as just one example.
Junk like that sold to newbies with 2 hives as if totally necessary and critical piece of equipment.
When I help others (which I do), I don't try to sell stuff to them either. :)
Good relationship is worth way more than few quick bucks.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think the main guy that started it is more into the youth side of things. I haven't seen anyone trying to sell products. The ones that did tell me they sold bees was because I asked. They did put on a bee school this summer and it was huge and pretty good. I thnk maybe thier intentions are god and what they do is good, but I'm just not part of the in crowd. I don't really know any of them.

·
Registered
7,948 Posts
I think the main guy that started it is more into the youth side of things. I haven't seen anyone trying to sell products. The ones that did tell me they sold bees was because I asked. They did put on a bee school this summer and it was huge and pretty good. I thnk maybe thier intentions are god and what they do is good, but I'm just not part of the in crowd. I don't really know any of them.
OK; this could be another flavor of the club - "save the bees" type.
About just as useless. :)
These tend to be about buying some packages, putting them into top bar hives, and feeling good about it. LOL

·
Administrator
11,321 Posts
I think I'm going to start looking elsewhere to order. Everyone I talk to says I should order NOW or I won't be getting any in the spring.
The one advantage that a "club" purchase [could] have is bee packages with 'local pickup'. Meaning the packages come off a truck/trailer rather than being delivered by a package carrier like USPS or UPS etc.

Finding a bee package source within reasonable driving distance would be the best option.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Both he guys are local and they make their own spilts. There is a local storefront vendor that has them and another source I would consider isn't that far away so I would pick them up myself for each of the 4 options.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts