Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to get a consensus on type and supplier of bees to order for spring delivery. I ordered from North 40 here in Hayden, Idaho last year but was wondering what types you recommend for the climate here and where you experts order from.

Thanks in advance and happy wintering!
PR

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,882 Posts
Beekeepers rarely, if ever, reach a consensus about anything. A lot of it has to do with climate as every area has different requirements for how to keep bees. I would imagine that the Saskatraz bees would work well in your climate.

Reactions: PRobees

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Beekeepers rarely, if ever, reach a consensus about anything. A lot of it has to do with climate as every area has different requirements for how to keep bees. I would imagine that the Saskatraz bees would work well in your climate.
Thanks JW will check them out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the local tips though there seems to be very few around here. Will take some digging.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
3,379 Posts
Quick look on the net shows this group may be at the same (north south) locale as you are:

Call a couple of the listed folks at the site and see what they offer.

some offer NUCs:

FYI many NUC producers are sold out by Feb 1 so try not to get into decision Paralysis

GG

·
Registered
4ish langstrom hives
1,542 Posts
Are there any local bee clubs that do group buys?

I know some of the clubs around here do group buys in the spring and get a discount

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,882 Posts
We have a local guy that makes the trip down to GA once or twice in March to pick up packages. Two years ago they were $105, about $30 less than the going rate at the time. It would pay to be part of a bee club, the saving on one package would have covered the membership dues for two years.

Reactions: PRobees

·
Registered
71 Posts
Quick look on the net shows this group may be at the same (north south) locale as you are:

Call a couple of the listed folks at the site and see what they offer.

some offer NUCs:

FYI many NUC producers are sold out by Feb 1 so try not to get into decision Paralysis

GG
Gray Goose, good suggestion, I think there are WA breeders in the east side that are a better match.
As local here on Puget's Sound a couple of things to consider:
#1 the west WA has a marine environment , wet and rarely very cold...ice on my driveway here is rare , my bees were flying today in the rain...so even though we are at the same latitude our climate is very different than over the mountains in Idaho.
#2 I am familiar with almost all of those suppliers and all the local breeders on that list don't ship bees and almost all of them don't ship queens, and a few (my favorites) aren't even taking orders this year (for now)..that being said we are lucky to have some great local breeders here ...you could drive over.
#3 I know there are breeders in EASTERN WA, Spokane area, tri-cities...Ive seen adds on Craigslist ...thier climate is just like yours and its a shorter drive.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are there any local bee clubs that do group buys?

I know some of the clubs around here do group buys in the spring and get a discount
Gray Goose, good suggestion, I think there are WA breeders in the east side that are a better match.
As local here on Puget's Sound a couple of things to consider:
#1 the west WA has a marine environment , wet and rarely very cold...ice on my driveway here is rare , my bees were flying today in the rain...so even though we are at the same latitude our climate is very different than over the mountains in Idaho.
#2 I am familiar with almost all of those suppliers and all the local breeders on that list don't ship bees and almost all of them don't ship queens, and a few (my favorites) aren't even taking orders this year (for now)..that being said we are lucky to have some great local breeders here ...you could drive over.
#3 I know there are breeders in EASTERN WA, Spokane area, tri-cities...Ive seen adds on Craigslist ...thier climate is just like yours and its a shorter drive.
Spokane would be ideal. I know there are keepers in my area but no known breeders in Hayden/Coeur D Alene that I can find. Will look in to the Spokane area.
Thanks all great feedback!

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
"Spokane would be ideal. I know there are keepers in my area but no known breeders in Hayden/Coeur D Alene that I can find. Will look in to the Spokane area."
Out of the local beeks there near you, there might be one who would be willing to make a nuc up for you and would like the extra money. Most of us do splits in Spring as part of swarm control. As jjayf mentioned above you would want your area climate/weather. Not all breeders sell "very good to excellent" queens because they don't know for sure how good the ones you are purchasing actually are (no fault of their own) and if you are speaking of package bees even more so.

Reactions: jjayf

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
Bushpilot from this forum is also from that area of Washington, maybe you could PM him and ask a few questions.

·
Registered
71 Posts
here is someone in Moses lake..
Spokane "survivor stock"

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
here is someone in Moses lake..
Spokane "survivor stock"
Excellent Jason thanks much for the lead!
PR

1 - 19 of 19 Posts