Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a day I just order all my Bee Supplies from Brushy Mountain Bee Farm today. I have to pick up my Bee package "Cordovan" on May the 24th. I am just a newbie. to all of this Beekeeping. All I can do for right now is just wait for the day I pick up the Bees Package. :lookout:

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
If you plan on painting the hives, you can do that. Be sure to paint just the outside surfaces. Also, you can make up a batch of sugar syrup so it is at room temperature when you install your packages. I have found that putting a five pound bag of sugar in a one gallon jar then pour a tea kettle full of water over it stirring until clear works well. Good luck. Beekeeping is great fun. Much more interesting than chickens, goats, dogs, cats, reptiles, fish..... You get the idea.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I have the Mann Lake top feeders. They work well for me. Which one did you go with? Plastic or wood? Center or end access? The top feeders seem to work much better than the Boardman entrance type feeder that came with my first hives.
Have you figured out how you are going to install your package?
Starting out with one hive is more difficult than two. It is doable though. It is easier if you have two hives to compare their progress.
What other equipment have you purchased for your hive configuration? I figure that you are going to use all ten frame equipment.
It seems as though most Beeks are getting away from using any treatments at all. I know I am. You may want to use the search feature on the toolbar above to look up threads regarding Fumagilin-B. That way you can get a bunch of opinions before making any decisions.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I look at plastic but I order the wood. I have figured out how I will install the Hive. I will only install one Bee hive at this time. I have put in for State Grant $$$$$ to put up two more Bee Hives. :) All the equipment cost me $235.75 for the one Hive.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
ITEM# DESCRIPTION QTY TOTAL
201 TEN Shts. 8-1/2'' Crimp Wire Foundation2 $19.30

671 10-Frame Goble Inner Cover 1 $8.15

121 10-Frame Empty Unassembled DT Hive Body2 $31.90

128 9-1/8 Frame Wedge Top/Grooved Bottom (e20 $17.80

495 Brushy Mtn.10'' Hive Tool 1 $5.85

775 Bee Brush 1 $3.95

556 Plastic Support Pins (100) 1 $9.95

659 Plastic Frame Spacer Tool 1 $9.95

677 1 lb.7-D Nails 1 $2.55

678 1 lb.1-1/4 Nails 1 $2.85

688 10-Frame Hive Top Feeder w/Floats 1 $18.95

709 Ventilated Helmet 1 $13.95

701 Square Veil w/elastic & string tie down1 $13.00

667 10-Frame Telescoping Top 1 $17.45

602 1/2 Gram Fumagilin-B 1 $17.95

SUB TOTAL: $193.55
TAX: $0.00
SHIPPING: $42.20 UNITED PARCEL SERVICE - RESIDENTIAL GROUND SERVICE
ORDER TOTAL: $235.75

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
State grant for beehives???!!!???:scratch: 2 hives are a hobby. You produce honey you are creating income. Why should you get a grant from taxpayers dollars for your hobby that will pay for itself? Good grief Charlie Brown!

·
Registered
302 Posts
There are some states giving out money to help on bees. I think some of the money is from tobacco settlement money given to the states from fines to the tobacco companies. Even though I live in KY I got a grant this year from WV for purchasing nucs from a producer in WV. This is to help people in the state of WV who raise bees to sale. I am purchasing 5 nucs and they gave me a grant for one, a little help is better than none. I belong to the WVBA and they are doing the application reviews and passing out the money. I live on the border and there are no bee clubs close to here in KY so I joined one in WV. But its true there are grants for bee keeping, I'll take all the help I can get. I make all my own wood ware but its still expensive starting out in bees. They give grants on cattle, goats etc. so I think its good they are helping the bees. The source money is not tax payer money though which is a good thing too.

·
Registered
290 Posts
There are some bee grants available here in VA but only in specified counties. Unfortunately, my little city is not in any of the areas. Total bummer...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts