Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With help from my 16y/o son and my Dad we got the bees moved to Groveland, Florida this morning. Now hoping for good weather and Orange Blossom Honey. You commercial guys would of got a good laugh at me and my son trying to figure out how to secure the bee net around the bottom of the hives last night in the dark. I had never even saw a bee net until a couple weeks ago. I use to just screen each hive and then load them so using the net was new to us. We just switched all of our hives over to 4 way pallets so netting the load is a must now since the new pallets don't have screened bottom boards. All in all everything went pretty good with no major problems. Here's a few pics. http://s203.photobucket.com/user/rgraf/library/Orange Grove pics 2014

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I don't get why you would net the load? Jacksonville and Groveland aren't that far apart are they? For us if we are going for a few hours, I do not bother netting the load. Bees do not fly at night. It just takes time to net and latter take it off. Is it a legal requirements that bees be netted in Florida? I like your pictures.

Jean-Marc

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm very new to moving bees so I figured it was better to be safe than sorry. We loaded last nite but, didn't leave until about 5 a.m. this morning so the last part of the trip was during the daylight. It got down to 34 last night so I wasn't too worried about them getting hot while sitting on the trailer before we left. To tell you the truth I'm really not sure if it is required by law to net them or not. Now that I've done it once it should be easy next time. Its only 150miles from my house to the grove so your right its not that far. I can leave the house early, work the hives and still be back home early afternoon.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The bloom was just starting to open maybe 1-2% but, there was a bunch that should pop open any day now. I think by next week it will get going pretty good.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm on Hwy 50 the grove is next to a big nursery called Marian Tree farm. I'm closer to Masscote than Groveland.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I went back down today for the first time to check on the bees. They were starting to put some nectar in the supers. I checked just before lunch time to day and was able to shake some nectar from the frames so hopefully we will have a good year from the Oranges. The trees look like they are about to explode in bloom. Next week things should really start happening. Here's a couple pics on my facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Miss-BEE-Haven-Apiary/519851231447309

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Looking good!
I finally got a few hive into the grove. I don't think I missed too much. The trees with greening seemed to have the most bloom.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I went down a week ago and they were doing pretty good. The bloom looked great they were starting to draw wax and put on some weight. Some of them had one super almost full. I will be heading back down later on in the week I will post a report then. They should be off the chain this week the weather is supposed to be great plus we got a little bit of rain today.

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
My son lives in Mascotte near Dukes Lake. I visited him about this same time last year and there were hives everywhere. It looked like a very good area for beekeepers. I kept spotting hives in the groves and fields that my son drives by every day on his way to work in Tavares .... and he never noticed them. It's funny .. the things that catch your eye when you are a beekeeper that everyone else completely misses.
I hope you have a very successful harvest in Groveland.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Very cool Mbeck! We are closer to Mascotte a very nice area. I've lived in North Fl all my life and have never spent much time in Central Fl. if I move after retirement I will be looking in the Central Fl. area. You can tell that area use to be a big Citrus area but, most of the groves are gone now. The grove we go to use to be twice as big as it is now the guy that owns it said he has lived there his whole life. He has replanted three times now mostly because of the freezes back in the 80s. Something else that is interesting is in his younger days he had a big grafting business. He was grafting over 1million trees a year so he may have started a lot of the other groves in the area. I'm afraid the Greening may eventually wipe out the rest of the groves.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Did you really only use one strap on that load? I hope not. If for no other reason, a net will help keep lids on hives during transport.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
My son lives in Mascotte near Dukes Lake. I visited him about this same time last year and there were hives everywhere. It looked like a very good area for beekeepers. I kept spotting hives in the groves and fields that my son drives by every day on his way to work in Tavares .... and he never noticed them. It's funny .. the things that catch your eye when you are a beekeeper that everyone else completely misses.
I hope you have a very successful harvest in Groveland.
I see apiaries off in the distance which turn out to be old grave yards. Beekeepers see things that look like beehives and see beehives. Other people don't so much.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No, I used a spreader board and strapped each row down. We had already pulled them off when I took that picture.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts