Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a lot of work in the hive today and saw something I haven't before. On an outside frame that just had nectar and a good amount of capped honey (no brood), there were about five or so very small dark orange globs the size of sesame seeds on the capped honey.

There was also just one cell with something dark and wet at the bottom. I poked the sesame seed with my hive tool and it was definitely goo although it visually looked like it could have been a creature.

The wax was a little deformed too and had a hole in it. Hoping it's just leftover dead something and not a disease...

I also found a coccoon-looking thing attached to a different frame in the hive but whatever was in there was dead. It may have been a stray insect that overwintered or a propolized mummy. It looked more like a coccoon with something trying to come out of it that met its destiny when it tried to hatch.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
"The orange dots sound like Varroa."

Varroa are about half the size of a period " . " here on my screen. A sesame seed [I looked] is a little smaller than the " o ". There are a lot of things one might see in a hive that would appear to be significant; little dots and specks and "goo", that end up to be mere hive debris [Dictionary: #2. bits and pieces of rubbish: litter]. In a way, it would be interesting to look at frames, comb,.the bottom board :eek: etc. with a low power scope and make a list of all the things identifiable if one could.

I have read that propolis is removed by another worker in the hive; not by the bee carrying it. >> "When fresh, the tree resins are so sticky that foragers must have their loads pulled off by other bees, but over time the resins dry and harden." "Wisdom of Hive" --Seeley. This can be a bit of a tussle between the two, so maybe it's a lost bit of propolis or pollen. Sometimes bits of pollen can be seen on the landing boards.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts