Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So from all my reading on here and other sources, I decided to go with 8 frame mediums when I jumped into this hobby. But nucs come in deep-only variety (at least around my neck of the woods). So I bought two deep hive bodies with 16 frames, and built the rest of my stuff in 8-medium. I put the 5 full nuc frames in the deep 8 box, plus 3 medium foundationless. In about a week, they had drawn out the three medium frames. I moved the 3 drawn mediums to a medium box, staggered with 5 other empty frames. Slid 3 foundation deep frames into the deep box, moved the queens up into the mediums, and excluded her from the lower deep boxes. So now it is time to transition, and from what I am thinking, I have two options...

1) Keep adding mediums as they grow upwards. In three weeks, take out the (now hatched) deep boxes, and just be all medium from here on out. I can set the empty frames by each hive to let them pick them clean, then store them.

2) When the deeps hatch out, allow the hive to grow to about 3 mediums high, then start collecting my honey on top of that. I could then use the deep hives of drawn comb to give them a jump start on storing honey.

Option 1 gives me my all-medium setup, but makes them work harder to draw the equivalent of a deeps' worth of comp (approx 1.5 medium boxes worth of comb). Option 2 I still have mixed equipment, but they work less hard to draw comb.

Which makes the most sense to those who have moved to all of one type of equipment?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey, I was in your same position a year ago. There was never a time that the bottom deep was empty, but I didn't use a queen excluder. I left the deep on all year and just removed it about two weeks ago. There's a lot of work for them to do to fill out frames, and gather pollen and nectar, and all those full deeps are a great resource for the bees to help them through their first winter. I'm now in the process of cutting down the deep frames to medium size frames. That way none of the drawn comb will go to waste.

So option 3 is leave well enough alone and let them do whatever they want, in which ever box they want.

My mentor says, "Bees are better beekeepers, than beekeepers are bees."

·
Registered
245 Posts
I would think this time of year they could draw out without much trouble.
Next time just make a shim to put under your medium box that will allow you to use deep frames. When they move up over winter, you can pull those deep frames and the shim then replace with mediums (or cut the comb out of the deep frames and rubber band into medium frames).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts